Draft Tower: Build or Buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noodle23

Reaction score
Hi all,
I really like building stuff my self. Its fun and rewarding but I also don't like spending more than say 50-75% more than i can buy it for. That being said I would like to hear from those who have built your own draft tower. Whether or not it was worth it. Also were did you get the parts? Cost? (if you don't mind answering) Do you have any tips when building it?
Thanks

i'm 100% happy with having built my keezer by hand rather than just slapping a tower on it. If you go the route I w1ent (or something smililar), make sure you make it as air tight as possible, I had some foam issues because my lines up in the top were getting too warm

I found a brand new Danby on Craigslist for $100. You get get most of the parts at Beveragefactory.com. I think in all, I spent $300 building mine.

There are lots of tutorials online for the conversion. The main thing is where to drill the hole for the tower. It varies by manufacturer.

noodle23 said:
Hi all,
I really like building stuff my self. Its fun and rewarding but I also don't like spending more than say 50-75% more than i can buy it for. That being said I would like to hear from those who have built your own draft tower. Whether or not it was worth it. Also were did you get the parts? Cost? (if you don't mind answering) Do you have any tips when building it?
Thanks

Are you asking about people who built just their own towers?

Building it yourself means you can get exactly what you want.
(time and money are separate issues, of course)

I got my brother, who works at a sheet metal contractor, to build me a massive 8 faucet stainless steel box type tower tall enough to comfortably fit growlers underneath the faucets. Best Xmas gift ever!

I must echo the concern for a good air seal, I have a slight leak and it builds up so much condensation, I have to drain the thing every few weeks. Also, a fan to blow cold air around and prevent stratification is a must on larger keezers.

if you convert a small fridge with your own PVC tower
http://***********/stories/projects...20-build-it-yourself/2488-build-a-draft-tower

you can have an effective and quite cheap kegerator. Don't skimp on the faucet though, perlick 525's don't stick and look classy.

I dont have any personal experience, but I saw someone on here who mounted taps on lengths of steel (i think) pipe that were painted. looked super rad. I think when I get around to it that'll be my route for mounting.

Back