Draft Magazine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s3n8

Reaction score
Just got a flyer for "Draft - Life on tap".

Never heard of it before, anyone get it? recommend it? The advert is for buy one get one free (just like BYO which I subscribe). There are a few references here for draft magazine, but they seem pretty sparse.

IDK, from the website it looks like Cigar Aficionado. It might be cool if you live in a big town with lots of taps but in the sticks I would just get jealous of all the good beer I'm NOT drinking.

I think its ok. Not a homebrewers mag. More like a beer lovers kind of magazine. I pick up an issue from time to time.

Funny thing about Draft magazine. I just received two of them in the mail. Not as a subscription (I don't subscribe, and have never subscribed) but just two recent issues inside a US Priority Mail sleeve, addressed by hand. No note of explanation or anything. I don't know if they got addresses from somewhere (maybe the AHA) and are sending out free issues to try to drum up business or what. Very odd.

It's not a bad magazine and I've picked it up on the news stand. The content runs the gamut of industry news, beer reviews, beer-related travel, and food. Pleasant enough.

It's kinda lame, it is very BMC oriented, with some micro knowledge, it's really just sort of a maxim, or details, but with a beer leaning.

My lhbs couldn't sell any so they put them out for free (I picked up one of each issue they had) but really had a hard time even giving it away.

It's a good "poseur" magazine, but if you know anything about brewing, you can see right through the holes. It's the kinda mag to where an ad about a certain beer being "triple hopped," would not be met with a sneer, but awe. Where many of the review were for those pseudo macros that the BMC industry tries to infiltrate the market.

It's the kind of magazine where that those annoying pretend beer snobs that we tend to have trashed here, like the one at every party where you bring you homebrew or decent beer, says something like these things below...but still acting condescending, would use to crib from.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/stupidest-comment-your-beer-54730/?highlight=stupid+comment

It's kinda lame, it is very BMC oriented

I dunno. The two issues I have in front of me don't seem BMC oriented. The Brew Reviews in this one covers Brown Ales, Amber Ales, Wheats, and Pale Ales from lots of Micros including Flossmore Station, Deschutes, Lagunitas, Bear Republic, Firestone Walker, Kona, North Coast, Terrapin, Troegs and on and on. Not a single BMC faker in the bunch. In fact, I don't any BMC material at all in either of these. I wonder if they're trying to change their focus?

maybe ill pick one up next time im in a bookstore. Doesnt sound like I should subscribe just yet.

Someone that knew I "was into beer" gave me a July 08 issue and it has an interview with Sam Calagione and Jim Koch and an article on the big hop shortage. Certainly decent bathroom or airplane reading at the very least.

The free issues I got in the mail reminded me of some sort of GQ take on beer. It was flashy, it had some information that was good, it had a lot of information that was fairly superficial, but it was nothing I would pay for. If it's changed, I'm all for giving them another look, but I don't need some sort of People/SI/Maxim/GQ/Men's Health look at beer.

TL

I enjoyed the copy I picked up. I didn't see much of a spin on BMC beers myself. THey had their ads of course, but some of the bigger companies are putting out passable micro brew IMO. Not everyone is put off by the size of the company, and plenty of people are going to try to expand their beer palate by stepping into one of those before trying something from an unknown company anyway.

Anyway, I thought it has some decent reading material, and lots of nice pics. I personally would not buy a subscription, but I might be tempted to purchase a copy on the shelf if I just needed something to pass the time.

I personally would not buy a subscription, but I might be tempted to purchase a copy on the shelf if I just needed something to pass the time.

I think you just described pretty much every non-brewing beer magazine out there. They're all mildly entertaining fluff. A 30-minute airport time killer.

Back