Dr Rudi?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzOr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
WTH-
I'm looking to brew a rosemary IPA soon from Cantwell's book. I see he uses Dr Rudi hops. I've done a bit of googling and it seems like the substitutes vary from Green Bullet (not helpful) to Citra. Citra would be best because I have those on hand.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with this hop and could offer suggestions on substitutes.

Normally when brewing something totally new to me I like to stick to original recipe but I'm also trying to use HOH (hops on hand).

Here is what I have in freezer; cascades, citra, azacca, centennial, Willamettes. I'd like to stick to HOH but could go and buy some additional hops if convinced.

what happened to the good ole days when the selection was fuggles, saaz and cascades?

I love having all these different hops to choose from . Makes things interesting. If I were to follow a recipe I'd like to follow as well . I've never heard of Dr Rudi hops . Being that it's a bittering hop you may be able to substitute it with little difference. I'd probably bitter with Azacca or cascade . However if you could find some Rudy or Green bullet it be interesting.

Thanks Jag75. I gotta admit I did a little pandemic panic hop buying so I may try to sub with my hops. Since this recipe has quite a bit of rosemary in it, hopefully it won't be a big deal.

I may try a Citra and Willamette blend for the aroma and flavor hops.

I recently saw this;

Looks interesting but I have to wait till I bottle a few kegs of cider before I have an open slot in my kegerator.

That’s what I thought too. But the guys in the YT clip thought otherwise. I may do a 3 gallon batch depending on if I have an empty small keg available.

Back