Doughing-in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrismac619

Reaction score
I am getting ready to start all grain brewing, and I am reading John Palmer's book how to brew. Coughing in cam up and I'm sure it's discussed somewhere on here but I couldn't find it.so my question is when is it done in the brewing process, and does the run off go to the brew kettle and it is a form of sparging.

Doughing-in is simply mixing the grain and water into your mash tun. Heat about 1.25 qts of water for every lb of grain to about 165 F. Gradually add that and your grain into your mash tun, stirring well throughout, making sure there are no clumps.

The way I understand it, dough in and mash in are two different methods.If you start out with a higher temperature say 145 to 160 or so, it's called mashing in and with a lower temperature is called a dough in which is a protein rest. Usually done at a temperature between 100-120 F, the dough in allows the grains to soak and saturate as well as allowing various lower temperature enzymes to begin chopping up longer chains of molecules.
Steve

Doughing in is just the dumping in of the grains to your mash tun, mashing is the actual process of the conversion of the grains from starch to sugar.

Back