Double stout recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussietrev

Reaction score
Hey all.

Last year i posted looking for a clone of fullers double stout and got the following.

pale malt 54.00%
brown malt 18.00%
flaked maize 6.00%
black malt 4.00%
Dark Invert sugar 17.00%
total 100.00%
East Kent Goldings 3.5 oz
Fuggles 1 oz
start of boil 2.5 oz
after 60 mins 2 oz
boil time (hours) 1.5
dry hops none
pitching temp (ºF) 60
gravity (OG) 1070
gravity (FG) 1022
ABV 6.35
apparent attenuation 68.57%

Mash at 150º F
Sparge at 175º F

I brewed tis up using 1968 yeast last september and bottled it early november.
problem is it just tastes wrong. has a very umami kind of flavour that makes it really hard to get through a bottle tastes like marmite. dose anyone have any advice on the recipe ? I know there is a good beer in there but it needs some tweaking.:mug:

Nothing... I guess this falls into the category of a foreign stout. I have seen a recipe for a Trumann 1890 stout that has a very singe grain bill but no sugars.

has anybody even tried this beer ? did not like it ?
Recomend something in the same style ?

What did you use for the sugar? If it was the wrong type of dark invert/dark sugar then it could have a very pronounced effect on the taste

I made a dark invert. pretty much sugar an acid took it up too 140 Celsius and held it there for an hour or so get a nice color and flavour. when i taste the beer its very smooth but there is a bitter/burnt flavour in there that is very unpleasant so that makes me thing its the black patent malt.

I have seen talk around about not mashing such dark malts for the whole 60 mins.

sorry that temp was of the top of my head. the link you gave me is exactly the recipe i followed and it was ron pattison that gave me the original recipe.

Back