Double Pitching for Rye IPA, do I also need a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_seabass

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew a Rye IPA, when I bought the ingredients, the supplier told me I could either do a starter or double pitch, and I decided to just double pitch, since I hadn't done a starter before. Since then I have done my first starter with decent success.

I used the calculator below to figure out my first starter, and for this recipe it is telling me that I need 305 billion yeast cells. I have 200 billion between the two liquid yeast packs I have, which means I would need to do a starter with at least one of the packs to get the desired cell count quoted by the calculator.

Could someone please check my math, and offer any advice as to if I should be doing a starter? And if so, should I do a starter with both yeast packs, or just one and mix the starter and second yeast pack on brew day.

5 Gal
O.G. = 1.066
F.G. = 1.016

http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

Thanks!

You won't need a starter as long as the packs/vials are fresh. A starter certainly wouldn't hurt though....

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to get familiar with making and using starters!

Back