Double oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marnor

Reaction score
Today a friend gave me a festa brew double oatmeal stout kit he wasn't going to make.he said it was expired so I went and got a packet of yeast and made it I added some yeast energizer O.G was 1.054 fermenting at 68. Heres hoping all goes well if it doesn't I'm only out $1.99 for the yeast and the 20 mins it took to sanitize and pour it in.What are your guys thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So in turn would this kit not age as well if its already old before being bottled?

The stout is bubbling pretty good and steady so it will be beer lol.

Well came home to a clogged airlock so had to hook a blowoff tube first time i had to use one so the stout must be working good to need one.

I want to add chocolate What could/should i dry hop?

Yeah thanks I will try and find dutch cocoa powder. How much should I use ? when should I add it and how long should I leave it? Do I just dump it in or add it with water and pour it in?

Ok, so 5oz water with 10g cocoa? How many days should i leave it in or just put it in when I'm bottling?

I'd add the chocolate to the boil.

If you've already made your beer then you could add to the fermenter but I personally think the boil is best. Last beer I tried it in the mash as per a BYO article I read but I found it made the mash more viscous. I think they added to the mash in order to help avoid clumping or something, or perhaps less residue in the kettle but I'm going back tot he boil.

I added cocoa 2oz on friday not sure if it will be noticeable. How long should i leave it in for. I also want to prime with brown sugar whats a good amount?

Today I bottled it used 2/3 cup dark brown sugar hope it all works out. Got 47 bottles mostly 450ml.tried it in hydrometer test tube taste ok should be drinkable for sure.

I bought a few different stouts and tasted them with my CDOS.mine was my favourite because of the stronger dark flavours after taste smelt better too. Had head and creamier some had none.my chocolate stout had good bitterness compared with other chocolate stouts. I am very pleased with this oatmeal stout.

Back