Double Mashing at Allagash Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtn80

Reaction score
On Friday we went to the American Homebrewer's Association rally at Allagash Brewing in Portland, Maine. After letting us have some of their delicious beer, giving us a tour of the brewery and showing us their barrel room, they gave us some tastes of some rarities.

The one that sparked my interest was the newest entry in their Fluxus line. The Fluxus beers are released every year to celebrate their anniversary. This year it's a Belgian Imperial Stout. The cool thing about it is that they double mashed it.

The way they described double mashing to us is that they sparge and runoff like normal, but when they do, they drained into a second mash tun that also had grain. They then mashed and sparged with wort, rather than water.

The resulting beer has an absolutely intense roastiness, about 12% ABV. They also add cocoa nibs in the whirlpool, combination of those was tremendous. It was a sample from the fermenter, so it was warm, no carbonation, but still absolutely amazing, and cool to see the results of what seemed to me at least to be a pretty innovative technique.

It is a cool place I like when I was there the girl gave me a taste of anything I wanted.
Loved the cool room with all those oak barrels.

It's called a reiterated mash... December 2007 issue of BYO had an article written by Chris Colby on the topic, and if you search around you will find this technique is pretty common for big beers especially among commercial brewers for a couple of reasons:

1) It lets you mash with more grain than your mash tun can hold. (Runoff to kettle, clean out the mash tun, then use the kettle liquor to infuse into fresh grain)
2) The efficiency is better than you get if you did a single infusion mash because you can sparge with more water versus having most of the runnings being first runnings.

I will be using this technique when I brew my barleywine this year. I also will probably collect second runnings from just the first mash (which will have more sugars left than the second, which will be fly sparged) and boil that to make a small beer.

Reiterated mash partigyle? Why not just do a partigyle?
2 mashes + 3 sparges for 2 beers versus 1 mash and 1 sparge for 2 beers.

Back