Double mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tegeberg

Reaction score
Hi guys

This might be a stupid question, but is there anything fundamentally problematic with doing 2 stovetop mashes at the same time in order to be able to actually brew all grain? Two different grain bags, one with 2,5 kg grain and one with 1,5 kg (I have different pot sizes) mashed at the same time with the same strike ratio and both sparged lightly with a bit of water afterward. I am only calculating a 65% efficiency.

Exactly how important will it be to reach exactly the same mash profile for both mashes in terms of temperature etc.? Am I correct assuming that even if I would get differences in fermentability etc. between the two worts they will blend together to make some sort of mid way whole when mixed?

Minor differences etc. generally don't bother me and I am not looking to be able to 100% duplicate my beers later on. I'm just looking to try out some all grain and have some fun.

Cheers,
Thomas

It'll work.

And...

I've used a 6.5 gallon bucket fermenter in the past to mash BIAB - just wrapped it in blankets and towels.

2 of those and I built the cooler MLT.

Back