Double IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutilated1

Beer Drenched Executioner
Reaction score
I want to do a double IPA, but I can really only mash about 11 pounds comfortably and the double IPA recipes I can find call for more grain than I can mash.

I'm considering choosing a regular All Grain IPA recipe, and then just supplementing it with a canned IPA kit, like maybe a Cooper's Brewmaster's IPA...

Good idea ? Any other possibility ?

Pretty sure you can just sub .6 lbs DME for every lb. of base malt that won't fit...not quite AG-but pretty close.

How about making the biggest IPA you can, and add DME to bring it to the OG you want. Hop just as you would as per the recipe.

As an idea, you could do Dude's Pliny Clone just as written, except with less pale malt, and use the DME instead when you start the boil. For example, instead of 12 pounds 2-row, use 9 pounds 2-row and 2 pounds DME.

YooperBrew said:
How about making the biggest IPA you can, and add DME to bring it to the OG you want. Hop just as you would as per the recipe.

Thats kind of what I had in mind, only if I add DME will I not then need to also add additional hops to compensate ? I was thinking if I used one of those canned pre-hopped LME kits to compensate for the gravity it would have extra hops to keep it even.

I'm trying to hit around 1.085 for around 9.5% ABV

As an idea, you could do Dude's Pliny Clone just as written, except with less pale malt, and use the DME instead when you start the boil. For example, instead of 12 pounds 2-row, use 9 pounds 2-row and 2 pounds DME.

Now thats a pretty good idea, that recipe is one of the best recipes on this forum that I've had the pleasure of trying.

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and build a bigger MLT...

If you decide to add some extract to supplement the gravity, add it at the end of the boil. The lower the gravity when you're boiling the hops, the better the utilization. :rockin:

It'll also keep the color somewhat lower.

If I add extract to supplement the gravity, then does that mean I need to add extra hops to offset the extra extract ? Or will the amount of hops stay pretty much the same ?

No, the hopping is based on the gravity of the boil so it doesn't matter if the gravity comes from DME or homemade wort.

As bird said, though, you could add the DME late and get even more "oomph" out of the hops.

While its true that hop utilization will be better if you wait until the end of the boil to add the extract, I think you'll want to add more hops to keep the gravity/IBU ratio where it needs to be.

For a standard IPA the gravity/IBU ratio is about 1.0 (I think...someone correct me if I'm wrong). So if you make a 1.050 OG IPA you are looking for about 50 IBUs.

If you add a bunch of extract to get a higher OG, say 1.085, then you'll want to add more hops to get to about 85 IBUs.

This chart is helpful for keeping gravity/IBU balanced when scaling recipes up or down:

Gravity_Hops_Ratio.jpg

I don't see why you would need to add additional hops. If you use the DME to bring your boil gravity to what the recipe calls for, then just use the hop amounts in the recipe.

I just did this over the weekend to make a not-quite-double IPA (gonna come out around 7 - 7.5%).

That's true. But I wasn't talking about just adding DME to boost the gravity in a regular IPA, I was talking about taking a "regular" IIPA recipe and basically turning it into a partial mash. Since this recipe has 231.7 IBUs, you don't have to boost them any more to adjust the OG/IBU ratio. The IBU/SG gravity for the Pliny clone is 3.181 according to Beersmith. I just remember how much you liked the Pliny and was leaning towards giving advice on that particular IIPA.

Beerthoven is right- if you want to boost a regular IPA by adding DME, of course you will definitelly want to add hops to keep it more in balance.

YooperBrew said:
Beerthoven is right- if you want to boost a regular IPA by adding DME, of course you will definitelly want to add hops to keep it more in balance.

Ah - thats what I thought in the first place. Now I understand. Thanks!

Ah, I understand.

I thought we were talking about taking a standard IPA recipe and bulking it up with DME, then wondering if more hops needed to be added or not.

In any event, I think the OP would be well served to find a real IIPA recipe (like the Pliny) and follow it (converting to PM if needed).

:)

Back