Double IPA (Video) Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a metric Crap-ton of hops lol, I think you should be ok without dry hopping.

If you aren't sure take a sip a few days before your ready to rack to secondary and decide if you need to add more.

That is a metric Crap-ton of hops lol, I think you should be ok without dry hopping.

If you aren't sure take a sip a few days before your ready to rack to secondary and decide if you need to add more.

Sounds like a plan!

however this is still the case with a 'double' ipa? the grav and malt content was pretty high

29% corn sugar!!??
Saaz, Columbus, Citra, and EKG (all heavy on the bittering) !!??
1.020 FG and only 7.5% abv!!??

I'll pass.

29% corn sugar!!??
Saaz, Columbus, Citra, and EKG (all heavy on the bittering) !!??
1.020 FG and only 7.5% abv!!??

I'll pass.

Agreed...that sounds like a very weird beer. Weirder than my 'leftovers' American Pale Ale...which at least only used Magnum for bittering and some columbus for flavor...going to dry hop with some cascade to make it more complex...

but 29% corn sugar?

And as I recall Saaz (or is it Spalt?) can add a lot of woodiness to the flavor of the beer when you use a lot, which is why its typically used in smaller amounts for flavor or aroma, not bittering.

But, it IS beer. So let us know how it tastes, especially the body of the beer. I have to wonder if it fully attenuated...

Your hop amounts and times in general are not ideal. It's very confusing.

60/30/25/20/15/10/5 can be effectively reduced to 60-10-0-DH or 60-15-0 for the sake of simplicity with no impact on quality. Homebrewers typically rely on .25, .50, .75, or 1.00 oz. hop additions. Asking for advice on odd amounts like .705 and .176 is kind of obscure. The same can be said to the obscure malt bill. You won't generate too many constructive criticism with this type of recipe other than to simplify the schedule.

29% makes it more of a non-honey mead / beer hybrid. When corn sugar or table is used for a hoppy beer, it is usually limited to 2-7% of the total grist.

1.020 FG is on the sweeter side for this style beer. And Saaz + EKG are not very American IPA-ish.

Homebrewers typically rely on .25, .50, .75, or 1.00 oz. hop additions. Asking for advice on odd amounts like .705 and .176 is kind of obscure. The same can be said to the obscure malt bill. You won't generate too many constructive criticism with this type of recipe other than to simplify the schedule.

Switch to metric... ;)

Back