Double IPA substitute Yeast issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerd Bro

Reaction score
Hi all!

I went to the supply store to get the stuff for this great double IPA I made.

I used omega tropical (90% attenuation) for 8.5 abv and 1 lbs of dextrose.

They were out so I picked up omega DIPA but it has a MUCH lower attenuation (70s). Do I keep it all the same and roll with the low 7 ABV, or is doubling the dextrose OK to do? (Which would get me up.to 8.25 abv)

My hope is the 2 lbs of dextrose would thin it out and let the hops shine, but if that's too much dextrose please warn me!

Here's the bill:

5 lbs 2 row
2 lbs Vienna
1 lbs crystal 15
2 lbs DME
1 lbs? Dextrose

Thanks! What temp would you recommend? I usually try and hold the average of the top and bottom of the wort since bottoms always hotter

Thanks! What temp would you recommend? I usually try and hold the average of the top and bottom of the wort since bottoms always hotter

For high-fermentability, probably about 148°F degrees for an hour, or a little over an hour. I would not increase the dextrose to 2 pounds, 1 pound should be good (actually a pound sounds like a lot to me.) Maybe a pound and a quarter? This is not a style that I brew so I can't say anything with a lot of certainty here except the 148° part :)

Back