Double IPA recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyT

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First post here. I've brewed a few extract recipe and am attempting to create my first recipe. I'm a huge hop-head (see username), and love Stone's Enjoy By series, Stone Ruination, and Ballast Point Sculpin just to name a few. I'm attempting to sort of blend a Ruination clone and an Enjoy By clone while changing a couple of things which I thought would be fun.

So far, this is the recipe:

5 gallons
Est. OG 1.082 Est FG 1.014 EST Alcohol 8.9%
SRM 7.4 IBU 129 (approx)

6 lbs Briess Gold Unhopped LME
3 lbs Munton & Fison (UK) Light DME
1 lb Dextrose
1 lb Caramel 20L (Briess)

Steep grains 30 mins at 170
Add 3 lbs DME, bring to boil

2 oz Magnum (pellet) 60 min boil

1 oz Centennial (pel), .5 oz Au Topaz (pel), .5 oz Galaxy (pel)-15 min boil
1 oz Falconer's Flight 7 C's (pel), 1 oz Galaxy (pel)-10 min boil
.5 oz Au Topaz (pel), 1.5 oz Galaxy (pel), 5 min boil

Add 6 lbs LME at flameout, stir until completely dissolved

Hopstand/ whirlpool for 20 Mins
1.5 oz Galaxy (whole)
1 oz Centennial (pel)

Pitch 2 rehyrdated packets S-05

Dryhop in Secondary
1.5 oz Galaxy (whole)-5 days
1. oz Centennial (pel)-3 days

What do ya think?

The steeping temperature of 170 seems a bit high to me. I've never steeped above 165. Is that how hot you're going to let the water get before you soak the grains?

I'd cut back the Magnum to 1oz for 60. 2oz is going to make it VERY bitter. I realize you like hops, but I don't think you will enjoy that much bitterness. Magnum is a very clean bittering hop that does not add much hop flavor and only bittering when used for the 60 boil.

I also think you have too many verities of hops in there. If you are going to use the 7c's I'd leave it to only using 7c's for the whole batch other than the 1oz of Magnum. Or delete the 7c's and use the Topaz and Galaxy together. Just my 2 cents.

Okay yeah I agree. Going a little overboard in the hop department. :drunk:

Here's what I'm thinking instead (est. 110 ibu):

6 lbs Briess Gold Unhopped LME
3 lbs Munton & Fison (UK) Light DME
1 lb Dextrose
1 lb Caramel 20L (Briess)

Steep grains 30 mins at 170
Add 3 lbs DME, bring to boil

1 oz Magnum (pellet) 60 min boil

1 oz Centennial (pel), 1 oz Galaxy (pel)-15 min boil
1 oz Centennial, 1 oz Galaxy (pel)-10 min boil
1 oz Centennial (whole), 1 oz Galaxy (pel), 5 min boil

Add 6 lbs LME at flameout, stir until completely dissolved

Hopstand/ whirlpool for 20 Mins
1.5 oz Galaxy (whole)
1 oz Centennial (pel)

Pitch 2 rehyrdated packets S-05

Dryhop in Secondary
1.5 oz Galaxy (whole)-5 days
1. oz Centennial (pel)-3 days

How does the malt/grain profile sound? And what about the mix of Centennial and Galaxy?

Thanks for the advice everyone!

You could use brown sugar, instead of glucose, to get a little more flavor. And you could think about using S-04 or Nottingham to give you more fruitiness from your yeast to complement your hops. But this looks good as is. Post your result.

Looks good from here. The citrus from both will complement each other, the Cent. will provide the classic IPA backbone and the Galaxy will add the tropical fruit notes and let you know it is something special. I'd stick with the white dex if only for color purpose. I agree the brown sugar would add more caramel notes, but you can add that on a second batch when you make it again. On the yeast, S-05, S-04, Nott. WLP001 all will work well, So long as it is a rather neutral strain I don't think you would notice much difference with all the hop flavor and aroma.

Okay, awesome. Thanks guys. I plan to brew this in about a month or so.... Right after the black IPA I've got on deck. Will post results

A pound of crystal malt is a lot for an IIPA. Most American IIPAs (including at least one of those you mentioned) hold crystal additions to below 5% of the grist.
You could also increase the malt aroma of your beer by doing a small partial mash of 2-row pale malt. Beer made solely from malt extract frequently has diminished malt aroma. Mashing just 2 pounds of pale malt for a 5-gallon batch can help quite a bit with that.
You could also use the enzymes from the partial mash wort to work on the malt extract a bit and make your wort more fermentable. Just stir (some of) your malt extract into the partial mash wort (plus whatever water you're adding to make your pre-boil volume) and hold the mixture around 150 °F for 5–10 minutes.

Chris Colby
Editor
beerandwinejournal.com

A pound of crystal malt is a lot for an IIPA. Most American IIPAs (including at least one of those you mentioned) hold crystal additions to below 5% of the grist.
You could also increase the malt aroma of your beer by doing a small partial mash of 2-row pale malt. Beer made solely from malt extract frequently has diminished malt aroma. Mashing just 2 pounds of pale malt for a 5-gallon batch can help quite a bit with that.
You could also use the enzymes from the partial mash wort to work on the malt extract a bit and make your wort more fermentable. Just stir (some of) your malt extract into the partial mash wort (plus whatever water you're adding to make your pre-boil volume) and hold the mixture around 150 °F for 5–10 minutes.

I'll look into the crystal malt a little more, but as far as the partial mash I think that's a little bit over my head. I'm relatively new to brewing and the most complicated I've gotten is just steeping pre-crushed grains and adding to wort. So you're losing me a bit when you start talking about partial mashes and enzymes.

Any way you could explain that a little better? Thank you for your input, it's greatly appreciated!

Also, what about the pitching of 2 packets of S-05? I was thinking that it would be good given the high OG I'm trying to attain, but I know there's more to it than that (length of fermentation, sugar breakdown, esther production, etc). Can anyone advise on this, or explain what they would do and why for this recipe in particular?

Thanks!

Yeah, 1.5-2 packs of dry yeast would probably be good for 5 gallons of 1.082 wort. Using this yeast calculator is a good idea: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html.

You could read John Palmer's How to Brew to find out more about mashing, enzymes, and pretty much anything you want to know about homebrewing. You can buy a newer version with more up to date info or you can read an old version online for free here: http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html. Some of the info is a little out dated but it's still a really great resource.

The difference between partial mash and steeping is that with a partial mash you need to hold the temp +/- 2 degrees for about 45 to 60 minutes. Steeping you do for about 30 minutes and the temp is not critical. That being said, if you can steep you can do a partial mash. The only equipment to add if you don't already have it is a thermometer.

Back