Double IPA infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austinkey01

Reaction score
So I just started my second batch and decided to go with a Double IPA. Since I’m new to the realm of brewing I decided to go with the Brewers Best kit for ease. The kit states that the beer was supposed to be in the 8.5-9 ABV. While transferring to my secondary I took a gravity reading and calculated a 12.5. I took a sample and it’s pretty damn sour as well.
Is this a sign of wild yeast contamination in my fermenter? What could have caused this? I don’t see any visual signs of contamination.
image.jpg

Clarify please. How did you take your reading? With a hydrometer or refractometer? And what was your starting gravity

If the ABV is that much higher something might have gotten in there. Might be a brett (a wild yeast) infection. They are able to survive harsher environments where other yeast strains would die. They're also able to "eat" larger sugars than other yeasts which is why you might have a higher ABV.
This isn't necessarily a reason to throw it away.Brett is often used in Flemish sour beers or Iambics.
Is the sour taste off-putting? If not you might be able to keep it.
What does it smell like?
However we might indeed need more information to find out what happened

If the ABV is that much higher something might have gotten in there. Might be a brett (a wild yeast) infection. They are able to survive harsher environments where other yeast strains would die. They're also able to "eat" larger sugars than other yeasts which is why you might have a higher ABV.
This isn't necessarily a reason to throw it away.Brett is often used in Flemish sour beers or Iambics.
Is the sour taste off-putting? If not you might be able to keep it.
What does it smell like?
However we might indeed need more information to find out what happened
Brett’s can drop ph but they don’t create lactic acid so it wouldnt be that if the beer is genuinely sour.

Brett’s can drop ph but they don’t create lactic acid so it wouldnt be that if the beer is genuinely sour.
You're right they can't.
But I'm pretty sure brett can produce acetic acid given enough time. But That would of course cause the beer to smell like vinegar and should be quite noticeable.
But you're right, I shouldn't jump to conclusions.
That's why we would need more information.
Does it taste sour or tart?
How long has it been in primary?
What does it smell like?
What was the recipe, yeast used?
How did you clean and disinfect?

Last edited:
How many ibus did you plan for from your hotside hops? How long did it take to cool? What water did you use; tap, bottled, RO? Did you do any water chemistry?

What yeast did you use and what temperature did you ferment at?

Remember, fermentation is a thermodynamic process, meaning it generates its own heat. If your room temperature was 75F the internal temp could have been upwards of 85F which could cause noticeable off flavors that I've found can sometimes be 'tart'. Though this wouldn't be a reason for a bonus 3% ABV. Cheers!

Sorry for the late response gents, and thanks for your help.

I let my wart cool overnight in my fridge. I used glacier water from a refillable 6gallon plastic carboy that i sanitized thoroughly. I let it ferment in the primary for 6 days, as directed by Brewers Best Double IPA recipe. I did some research and realized that I had miscalculated my ABV (apologies, I’m still new to brewing). I used a hydrometer. My correct ABV is 6.47%, yet it still tasted tart and flavorless, not wretched though. It still smells like an IPA but less hoppy than I had imagined. I can’t remember which strand the box came with but it was an Ale Yeast. I’ve kept my house at 68 degrees as I have considered the heat produced during fermentation. it has been in the carboy for 3 days now and I’m noticing that the white bubbles are now clustering and getting larger.Hope this helps, and again, thanks!

OG: 1.065
FG: 1.016

updated photos below

Attachments

• 6D80AE69-F73C-4300-983D-C55DB4FF73F5.png
    6D80AE69-F73C-4300-983D-C55DB4FF73F5.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 19
  • 4AB65C91-5DD6-4BA1-8A31-59E5B2FEF4C2.png
    4AB65C91-5DD6-4BA1-8A31-59E5B2FEF4C2.png
    6.2 MB · Views: 18
Sorry for the late response gents, and thanks for your help.

I let my wart cool overnight in my fridge. I used glacier water from a refillable 6gallon plastic carboy that i sanitized thoroughly. I let it ferment in the primary for 6 days, as directed by Brewers Best Double IPA recipe. I did some research and realized that I had miscalculated my ABV (apologies, I’m still new to brewing). I used a hydrometer. My correct ABV is 6.47%, yet it still tasted tart and flavorless, not wretched though. It still smells like an IPA but less hoppy than I had imagined. I can’t remember which strand the box came with but it was an Ale Yeast. I’ve kept my house at 68 degrees as I have considered the heat produced during fermentation. it has been in the carboy for 3 days now and I’m noticing that the white bubbles are now clustering and getting larger.Hope this helps, and again, thanks!

OG: 1.065
FG: 1.016

updated photos below
you’re using a secondary? My guess is you have oxidation and/or Acetaldehyde issues, which is a byproduct of yeast when it does not initially convert the sugar to alcohol. You being new and pitching the yeast without a starter Means you must likely underpitched. Then racking it to a secondary on day 6 (off the yeast it needs to clean itself up) really leans to acetaldehyde. It presents itself as a kind of tart green apple flavor. You also are exposing your beer to large amounts of oxygen in your current process, that’s where the lack of hops is most likely coming from

you’re using a secondary? My guess is you have oxidation and/or Acetaldehyde issues, which is a byproduct of yeast when it does not initially convert the sugar to alcohol. You being new and pitching the yeast without a starter Means you must likely underpitched. Then racking it to a secondary on day 6 (off the yeast it needs to clean itself up) really leans to acetaldehyde. It presents itself as a kind of tart green apple flavor. You also are exposing your beer to large amounts of oxygen in your current process, that’s where the lack of hops is most likely coming from
Thanks for the knowledge! I’ll keep this in mind with future batches. What would you recommend in this situation? I’ve noticed the foamy bubble on the surface, which resemble possible mold. Should I keep pushing and later try to wipe the surface?

Thanks for the knowledge! I’ll keep this in mind with future batches. What would you recommend in this situation? I’ve noticed the foamy bubble on the surface, which resemble possible mold. Should I keep pushing and later try to wipe the surface?
The pictures look nothing like mold. I bet your beer is still Slowly fermenting Or it’s just degassing a bit. Take a gravity reading today to see if it dropped any points. It’s been my experience that brewer best kits finish close to 1.010-1.012

Back