Double IPA hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukebrewer

Brew the brew!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am trying to plan a double IPA, but I am having trouble coming up with a hop schedule that gets me where I want to be on IBUs and flavor/aroma. I would like to be in the 90-100 IBU range with a hop aroma that will knock you on your ass, but running the numbers through BeerSmith has me using most of the Amarillo and Cascade (5 oz each) to get there and get the flavor and aroma I want. The hop schedule I originally put in was:

2.5 oz Amarillo (9.3 AA) 60 minutes
2 oz Cascade (7.2 AA) 30 minutes
2 oz Amarillo 10 minutes
2 oz Cascade dry hop for 7 days

This seems pretty inefficient and I think I could do better. So I changed it to this, which only saves half an ounce, but sounds absolutely tantalizing and I figure I'm not going to get what I want without going all out on the hops anyway:

3 oz Cascade 60 minutes
2 oz Amarillo 30 minutes
1 oz Amarillo flame out
Dry hop with 1 oz each of Amarillo and Cascade for a week or so

Doesn't that sound delicious, hopheads? By all means, though, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

-AJ

If it were me, I'd up the flame out and dry hopping amounts. Pliny the Elder Clones use a ton of hops for the 0 minute and dry hopping additions.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/imperial-ipa-recipe-13758/index2.html#post129699

I like that resiny taste in my double IPAs. The flame out and dry hopping helps you get there.

You might also try something other than Cascade for your bittering addition. I don't think that it will get you the level of bitterness you need in a double IPA. Again, look at the amount of bittering hops in the Pliny clone. You don't necessarily need THAT much, but you need a firm bitterness to balance the other hops.

I personally would use something else at 60 min and load up the other 2 late..like Chinook or Colombus or Summit...but if that is all u have :

2 oz Amarillo 60 min
1 oz Cascade 60 min
1 oz Cascade 20 min
1 oz Amarillo 10 min
1 oz Cascade 10 min
1 oz Cascade 0 min
1 oz Amarillo 0 min

1 oz Cascade and Amarilo DH 2 weeks

Should put u around 90 IBU depending on recipe...10 oz total

J

Thanks, for the quick replies. I also have 5 oz each of Willamette, Fuggles and Golding, none of which seem like decent choices for the bittering addition. If I used 3 oz of the Willamette for the bittering addition, though, I could load up the late additions and dry hopping with the Amarillo and Cascade and still get the high IBU and intense flavor/aroma I am looking for. Anything wrong with using the Willamette for the bittering addition? Thanks.

-AJ

Try first wort hopping the amarillo with 3 oz and keeping 40% of the IBU's in the last 20 minutes

Try first wort hopping the amarillo with 3 oz and keeping 40% of the IBU's in the last 20 minutes

Unfortunately, I am doing this AG, so first wort hopping isn't an option for me (unless there's a way to do it with PM that I don't know about), but thank for the suggestion and I will keep the technique in mind when I do go to AG.

Unfortunately, I am doing this AG, so first wort hopping isn't an option for me (unless there's a way to do it with PM that I don't know about), but thank for the suggestion and I will keep the technique in mind when I do go to AG.

You are partial mashing? Just toss your hops into the kettle before draining your first runnings from your partial mash. Congrats, you've just FWH :mug:

Personally, if you can get your hands on some Columbus I would FWH with that. It should get you closer to the IBUs that you want, and you can work with a lot more flavor/aroma additions with your cascade/amarillo. It'd get more our of your hops and columbus is kick ass.

You are partial mashing? Just toss your hops into the kettle before draining your first runnings from your partial mash. Congrats, you've just FWH :mug:

Personally, if you can get your hands on some Columbus I would FWH with that. It should get you closer to the IBUs that you want, and you can work with a lot more flavor/aroma additions with your cascade/amarillo. It'd get more our of your hops and columbus is kick ass.

Sweet, thanks. I'm going to LHBS tonight, so I'll see if I can pick up a few ounces of Columbus.

I scored some Columbus at the LHBS. I don't know how hard Columbus is to find normally, but I am glad I scored them. This double IPA is going to kick some serious ass. I'm normally pretty modest, but this is the most excited I have ever been about a beer, homebrew or otherwise.

morebeer has had columbus all year. Get enough IBUs with FWH and 60 or 90 minute boil hops. I really like a big late addition in my IIPAs. The last one I made had 1 oz FWH, 1oz at 90, 2oz at 20, 1oz at 10, 1oz at 2, and 3oz dry hop. It is important to have enough IBUs to balance the malt, but for an IIPA, it is equally important to have enough hop flavor and aroma.

I think that you will be very happy with FWHing with Columbus. If you're fine with using 4 oz each of Cascade and Amarillo, I suggest:

1 oz Columbus 12% (FWH)
1 oz each Cascade and Amarillo (15)
1 oz each Cascade and Amarillo (10)
1 oz each Cascade and Amarillo (5)
1 oz each Cascade and Amarillo (DH)

If you want to knock it down to 3 oz of each, you can do 1/2 oz of each at 10 and 5. Either way, you should make a fine beer. What is your OG going to be? I'm just assuming that maxing out at 100 IBUs is appropriate for your particular IIPA.

Edit: Or if you get that little burst of pleasure when adding hop additions like I do, you can delay the cascade or amarillo additions by 2 or 3 minutes for each one. I.e.e: 1 oz cascade (15) 1 oz amarillo (13) 1 oz cascade (10) 1 oz amarillo (8) 1 oz cascade (5) 1 oz amarillo (3) DH with an oz of each.

colombus is a nice Bittering and aroma hop..I have a IPA planned with Colombus, Cascade, Summit, and Centennial.

Try Colombus and Amarillo Dry Hop..tasty

J

What is your OG going to be?

1.077 if I get 75% efficiency from my partial mash. And I am totally fine with using 4 oz of Amarillo and Cascade. I was prepared to use all 5 oz of each, but I don't think I will need to go that far.

discgolfin said:
Try Colombus and Amarillo Dry Hop..tasty

I bought 2 oz of Columbus just to be safe, so I might throw .5 oz in the mix to make a Columbus/Cascade/Amarillo medley.

s3n8 said:
It is important to have enough IBUs to balance the malt, but for an IIPA, it is equally important to have enough hop flavor and aroma.

+1. Most of the IIPAs I have tried are way too malty without the hops to back it up. IMHO, DFH 120 IIPA is basically a hopped up barleywine.

Have a look at dude's Pliny the Bastid recipe. Best IIPA I ever had - totally off the hook.

Also, you might consider hopping like this: This is what I do for my DFH60 clone.

bitter hops
.5 oz Amarrillo
.5 oz Simcoe
.5 oz Columbus

Aroma Hops
.5 oz Amarillo

Dry Hops
1 oz Amarillo
.5 oz Simcoe

Take all the Bitter Hops mix them up and put in a pile and divide the pile up into 8 equal size piles. Then Bring the Wort to a boil, hop schedule goes like this: Every 7.5 minutes, you add one of the 8 piles of mixed bittering hops. When you get to the last pile, in addition to the the last 1/8th of the bittering hops you add the .5 oz Amarillo for aroma.

Then chill the wort and pitch your yeast, let it ferment, etc.. - when you rack it to the secondary add your dry hops ( 1 oz Amarillo, .5 oz Simcoe ), and give it a couple weeks in the secondary.

If you want to make it spot on for DFH60, the grain bill is pretty simple too. 12#s US Pale, 6 oz Weyerman Melanoidin. Mash it about 156F and use a yeast that won't finish too dry, White Labs WLP002 English Ale works really well.

It makes beer exactly like DFH60, but in all seriousness go look in the recipe section and look at dude's Pliny The Bastid. That beer is so seriously great words just don't do it justice - I mean I don't like to overuse words like "Awesome" - you know those words should be saved for things like watching a solar eclipse from the rim of the grand canyon or something - but dude's Pliny the Bastid definitely deserves a word like that - awesome doesn't do it justice. I have never bought a beer anywhere that tasted that good.

Back