Double IPA extract recipe, thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looper

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I brewed this up yesterday, and am curious to hear how you guys think it'll turn out.

Ingredients:

9.00 lbs NB Gold LME
1.00 Crystal 60
2 jars honey
1/2 lb brown sugar

Hop Schedule:

For the 15 minute, 5 minute, and dry hop allocation, I mixed 2oz Centennial pellets, 2 oz Amarillo, 2 oz Simcoe. I divided them equally.

1 oz Chinook - 60 min
2 oz of hop blend(cent,simcoe,amarillo) - 15 min
1 oz Glacier - 10 min
1 oz Crystal - 10 min
2oz of hop blend - 5 min
2 oz of hop blend - dry hop

I pitched with 2 packets of US-05.

O.g. was 1.082

What do you guys think of my hop schedule? Will it turn out alright? Too bitter?

Thanks!

Not enough hops for my taste. Sometimes ill use over 7 oz in the boil and 4 for the dry hop just for a single ipa

You have honey and brown sugar, which work against the IPA a bit. So maybe lower bitterness is correct. But given that OG, it does seem like low IBUs (but I haven't run the numbers).

My best estimation is in the high 80's IBU-wise..

I'm not sure how to do it with the hop blending process.

McGarnigle said:
You have honey and brown sugar, which work against the IPA a bit. So maybe lower bitterness is correct. But given that OG, it does seem like low IBUs (but I haven't run the numbers).

How does honey work against an IPA?

I agree that brown sugar may contribute some flavors that may not work so well, but at only a half pound it will probably be unnoticable.

Oh yeah, forgot to add one more thing into the ingredients:

1LB light DME

What type flavors does brown sugar add?

I added 1 lb to an American brown recently to boost gravity. Haven't tasted it yet, but don't think I'll be able to recognize the brown sugar flavors even if I had tasted it.

Brown sugar adds very little flavor, especially in smaller amounts (< 1 lb). You will get a cidery taste if you have a lot, just like with regular table sugar (sucrose). There isn't enough molasses in brown sugar to give much flavor, though like most refined sugars, it will dry the beer out a bit.

How does honey work against an IPA?

I agree that brown sugar may contribute some flavors that may not work so well, but at only a half pound it will probably be unnoticable.

I just think that honey gets in the way of the hops, but that's a question of taste. The brown sugar is low so you're right, there won't be any significant molasses flavor.

Also: the original recipe didn't list AA%...if it's 80 IBUs, that's a good amount. I would have guessed it would have been lower.

Back