Double IPA, double the cost

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David_Trucks

Reaction score
I bought the supplies for my DIPA today and couldn't believe it was double the cost of the other beers I've brewed! There's gotta be a cheaper way, right? My LHBS doesn't sell hops in packages other than 1 oz. so I'm screwed there. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Order hops online by the lb from hopsdirect. They'll average closer to $1 per oz that way.

+1 on ordering hops in bulk-
My top 3:

HopsDirect
Grain to Glass
Niko Brew

Niko's stuff is well packaged and cheaper
HopsDirect is the best quality by far- amazing, really, but they run out quickly of the popular stuff (Amarillo, Citra, Centennial)- BUT you pay huge for shipping- at least $15
Grain to Glass has fast, reasonable shipping and good prices

Do a forum search for "Second runnings" or "Parti gyle." It won't get your cost lower, but it will get you an extremely affordable second batch out of the grain bill. I usually average $2-5 for the second batch, 3-4 gallons usually. As a whole it will bring your cost per bottle down.

All grain would be tough- don't have the kettle space. Everything else sounds great, thanks everyone for the tips!

All grain would be tough- don't have the kettle space. Everything else sounds great, thanks everyone for the tips!

It will pay for itself. Even when you include the cost of the mill, and if you need a larger kettle. From my LHBS pricing an extract batch would cost me around $20-30, my latest AG bottling was a 48 12oz 6% red (before priming, probably closer to 6.3) AND the bonus batch from grains 44 12oz 4.5% (before). Grand total $28.

Not to be devil's advocate, but you can't afford not to go AG!

David_Trucks, have you looked into BIAB? I've done a couple 3 gallon batches in the same 5gal brew kettle I started extract brewing in and have had great results. The investment took less than $10 at Home Depot (5gal paint strainer bags and metal clips). The greater flexibility and control have been wonderful considering the nearly negligible cost. You could do a couple quick 2.5gal batches and use your same fermenter.

I second going BIAB... I do 2 gallon batches myself... but will probably move up to 3 gallons in the future.

Still new to this, so I'm not completely sure what BIAB is (though I know it stands for brew in a bag). I use a large grain bag to steep the grains (is that BIAB?) but there isn't enough room to do an all grain recipe. Though I could try two separate batches I suppose...

It's very similar to steeping your grains. If you look in the BIAB area of the All Grain page, there are some great threads on how to BIAB. Now that I've done a couple, I wish I would have just started this way. It really isn't any more difficult than extract.

In a nutshell you use a large bag to contain your grains that fills the majority of the kettle. You heat the water to your desired strike temp, add your grains and stir so there are no clumps, make sure you are at the proper mash temp, let them sit until the starches are converted, remove the grain bag and let it drain back into the kettle, squeeze the bag to get more wort back, then bring it up to a boil like normal. It sounds more difficult than it is.

There is a lot of good info out there. Don't get intimidated by it being "all grain". I don't even have 10 batches under my belt yet and am putting out beer with good results. If I can, anyone can.

http://biabcalculator.com is a good place to get your calculations.

It's very similar to steeping your grains. If you look in the BIAB area of the All Grain page, there are some great threads on how to BIAB. Now that I've done a couple, I wish I would have just started this way. It really isn't any more difficult than extract.

In a nutshell you use a large bag to contain your grains that fills the majority of the kettle. You heat the water to your desired strike temp, add your grains and stir so there are no clumps, make sure you are at the proper mash temp, let them sit until the starches are converted, remove the grain bag and let it drain back into the kettle, squeeze the bag to get more wort back, then bring it up to a boil like normal. It sounds more difficult than it is.

There is a lot of good info out there. Don't get intimidated by it being "all grain". I don't even have 10 batches under my belt yet and am putting out beer with good results. If I can, anyone can.

http://biabcalculator.com is a good place to get your calculations.

That's what I do, only I add extract after that. I've got 3 batches under my belt, all this same technique, and they've all been tasty so far. I'd like to do all grain, maybe I will with the next one. Especially if it's cheaper.

You might not be as limited by kettle space as you think.

For the price of a five gallon paint strainer bag you can step into all grain brewing using BIAB methods. A lot of people assume BIAB is strictly single vessel brewing with all the water required for the entire brew added in the mash. BIAB is more versatile than that.

For instance google Maxi-BIAB. This method uses a 19 litre (5 US gallon) pot to make 23 litre (6 US gallon) batches. If you already brew extract then most likely the only new peice of equipment you'll need is the bag.

Back