Double dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayvinton

Reaction score
Wondering if when I go to do my second dry hop should I remove the old hops or put the new in with the old? Thanks

Ray

Definitely remove the old ones, or you're going to end up leeching out some pretty nasty flavors into your brew. Anything I dry hop, I do for 5 days max. If it requires any more after that, I would use fresh hops. Hope that helps.

I would say that's the usual advice to remove the first dry hop first and then add the second, which is what I've done when I've double dry hopped.

But I know that I've dry hopped for up to 10 days before, so I don't see any reason why you couldn't dry hop for 4-5 days for the first dry hop and then add the 2nd dry hop for 4-5 days while leaving in the first dry hop. I may just try that on my next beer, a Zombie Dust clone.

Thanks guys for the info. Pulled the hops out last night. I have to go to the local shop this evening to get a pack of hops. I miscalculated when I bought for the recipe. Will be ping the second dry hop tonight and then in a week we will see how the beer is tasting.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Home Brew mobile app

Back