Double Dead Guy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbrout

Reaction score
I looked around on the forums for a bit and I didn't see a Double Dead Guy Clone. I've just got my AG set-up going and may like to brew this soon. In any case it would be nice to have it on here for everyone. If anyone knows what would be needed to craft this throw up the recipe! Perhaps a vet has some input :mug:

Here's some info to help you figure it out...it's from the website.

7 Ingredients:

Malts: 2-Row, Munich and C15.

Hops: Cascade.

Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast and Free Range Coastal Water.

Specs:

20º PLATO

60 IBU

78 AA

25º Lovibond

9% ABV

You actually now have enough info to start plugging in numbers in beersmith to hit their numbers. Hope it helps! :mug:

Thanks Revvy, I currently don't have beersmith thus I'm not much assistance here...Perhaps someone can make use of that info.

Also, I thought dead guy was hopped with Saaz as well. I figured Double dead guy is just an upped version of the original...am i wrong?

Edit: at least my dead guy extract clone was hopped with saaz in the last 5 min o_O

The deadguy has saaz...but the double doesn't according to the website.

Dead GUY

Style: German Maibock Food Pairing: Pork, Hot & Spicy

Tasting Notes:

In the style of a German Maibock, using our proprietary Pacman ale yeast. Deep honey in color with a malty aroma and a rich hearty flavor.

8 Ingredients:

Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.

Hops: Perle and Saaz.

Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.
Specs:

16º PLATO

40 IBU

78 AA

16º Lovibond

Can someone with more beer style knowledge than I clarify the above information from Rogue? I thought a Maibock was a lager (Okterberfest?) or at least 'lagered'. Yet Rogue admittedly uses an ale yeast for DGA and DDGA ?

Dead Guy is a Maibock Styled Ale.....Meaning it is sort of like those beginner lager kits that use an ale yeast instead...DG is not a true Maibock...It is influenced by it....

It is an ale....

Though in DG's case it's as close as you can get for an ale...Maier pushes the temps of the pacman yeast down to iirc, 60 degrees or high 50's for it. But Pacman is a top fermentaing (ale) yeast.

I actually had an a$$hat judge in a contest who didn't understand that concept.

I entered my clone of it in the specialty beer category, and it said on the sheet that it was a "Maibock Styled Ale, and a CLone of Dead Guy Ale" The BJCP judge loved the beer (he was the one that said my beer was "Jewell-Like" but the other judge of the flight, who was listed as a "brewer" kept harping on my sheet that maibocks were lagers....even though my entry sheet clearly stated this was a clone of Dead Guy Ale...

A buddy of mine just built a 2 keg tap in his bar and I told him I would supply bear for him. He use to brew but doesnt have as much time as he would like. He just brews with me now. We are both fans of DGA and plan on making one here as soon as I can get running water outside. I may be a few weeks away yet, but i am getting itchy to brew.

I am going to harvest some PACMAN from some Rogue commercial bottles. I was just confused as to where to ferment this "ale" yeast for a 'maibock'. Now I get it, thanks.

Can someone with more beer style knowledge than I clarify the above information from Rogue? I thought a Maibock was a lager (Okterberfest?) or at least 'lagered'. Yet Rogue admittedly uses an ale yeast for DGA and DDGA ?

Dead Guy was never meant to be a good faith effort to make a Maibock. It definitely tastes like an ale and it is over hopped compared to German Maibocks.

They used to call it Maier Bock and the association with maibock I think is more a justification for that cute name than anything.

Nobody would confuse it for an authentic maibock.

As for double dead guy, again, don't let the name fool you. That beer is in no way an imperial version of dead guy. It has american hops and crystal malt. Is whatever you would call arrogant bastard, american strong ale or whatever.

Back