Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Double Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CollinsBrew

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast London Ale
Yeast Starter
N/A
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
1.010 expected
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
8 days at 67
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 67
Tasting Notes
Should be smooth with nice chocolate finish
Ingredients
Brewhouse Efficiency: 82.00%

10 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 120L (120.0 SRM) Grain
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain
1 lbs Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (500.0 SRM) Grain

2.00 oz Cascade[3.50 %] (60 min) Leaf Hops
2.00 oz Cascade [3.50 %] (30 min) Leaf Hops

4.00 oz Ghiradelli Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (secondary) Misc - Boiled in water, chilled and then added.
16.0 oz Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM Boil) Sugar
1 Vanilla Bean scraped and cut in 2.0 oz Vodka (secondary)

1 Pkg Wyeast London Ale Yeast

Mash Profile

Single Infusion
60 min Mash 154.0 F
10 min Mash Out 168.0 F

This was moved to secondary last night and tasted like a great dark stout prior to the chocolate and vanilla bean addition. I'll add more on the flavor profile after I transfer to the keg in two weeks. Depending on the taste, I may still add a chocolate extract prior to kegging if it's too bitter.

Curious about your gravity readings and expected ABV? I just brewed a 3 gallon chocolate orange stout that has BIG numbers....

I see your OG now (had to look on the comp, it doesn't show on the mobile app)....

So, according to BrewSmith, my estimated FG was supposed to be 1.017 and it came in at 1.020 before pumping it into the keg. It has a great chocolate aroma and it's not too bitter which is something I was afraid of. It seemed a little heavy on the roasted barley on the initial taste but that may mellow at a colder temp with carbonation. The color was really nice and I'm excited to it pour into the glass.

Back