Double Chocolate Stout Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave258

Reaction score
I brewed my double chocolate stout 5 weeks ago tomorrow. I checked the gravity reading on it last Tuesday 11/10 after being in primary 3 1/2 weeks and it was stuck at 1.026.
Last night I brought it up from the basement to bottle today, I just looked at it, and the airlock is bubbling again. I know, I have read the post about airlock not being a direct sign of fermentation, but maybe it had stalled out. In the basement it was at 66*-68* and upstairs it is at 70*-72*.
I didn't take gravity, but could it be finishing?
How much longer can I leave it in primary? It has been 5 weeks already. OG was 1.058 I think it was muttons dry yeast.
Thanks!

Moving a fermenter can cause CO2 to come out of solution and make your airlock bubble. Also, warming it up will cause the same thing. so, it could very well have been CO2 coming out.

At 1.026, I'd want to make DAMN sure it was done and not stalled. I would suggest leaving it for a few days upstairs in the low 70's and see if it ferments out anymore. No need to swirl it or anything because I'm sure you roused the yeast on the trip up the stairs already.

Thanks. I moved it yesterday, so I didn't think that the bubbling today was from that. I do see how moving it, and it being warmer can restart everything.

I did not think that 66*-68* was to cold for fermentation, could that have stalled it? I really thought that I didn't airate enough. Now I bought the mixer that attaches
to the drill, and started using starters. We'll see how they turn out now.
Thanks again.

Oh, that was a great temp for most yeast to ferment at. But yeasts can stall for many reasons (inadequate aeration being one of them) and a little rousing an upping the temp a few degrees can help coax them a little further along.

Mine stopped at 1.024 and has been there for a couple weeks. I stirred it up...transferred to secondary to get it off the trub...went to a third fermentor to put it on the vanilla beans and still 1.024. I think it is done lol. I MIGHT Bottle today . It has been on the vanilla for 4 days rather than a week BUT I used two smaller beans rather than one big one....

Back