Double chocolate oatmeal stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason1112

Reaction score
Ok guys I need some advice. Here's the recipe. 10lbs pale ale malt. 1.5lbs chocolate malt. 2 lbs flaked oats. 1lbs crystal malt 40l. It's a 5g batch I ended up with 5.50g. My question is that it lacks the thick creaminess of a stout and it tastes good but the flavor is a little weak, not like a normal stronger tasting stout. Would the extra half gallon make that much of a difference? Or do I need to add something for the creaminess an stronger taste? Thanks for any advice

Forgot to add. 2oz kent godings pellets...05oz northern brewer pellets. An I used us05 for yeast

what temp did you mash at? Mashing at higher temps gives you more body but less fermentable sugars. 2 lbs of flaked oats should be plenty to give you that good mouthfeel your after so maybe try mashing at a higher temp. I usually add some carapils and/or wheat to my stouts for added body as well.

Thanks for the reply. I was missing something in the taste I will add some wheat next time. I mashed at 155 for 60min

155 is good enough IMO. You could also try a 90 min boil to get closer to your target yield of 5gallons and your target OG. Most stouts I make I do a 90 min boil and some as long as 120 mins. Every batch is different so its all about hitting your targeted numbers.

Ok thanks beerman123. I'll try to boil longer next time an get it at 5g mark that mite make a bigger difference than I thought

Back