Double Batch Sparge - More Efficient?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShootsNRoots

Reaction score
Is a double batch sparge more efficient than a simple single batch sparge.

In other words, instead of rinsing the grains once (after the first runnings) like a normal batch sparge, you split the sparge into two. It's suppose to help rinse more sugars from the grains. I suppose, like washing a pan with dish soap and only rinsing once may leave some residue, rinsing twice with fresh water may get more residue off.

At least that's the way I understand it.

Can anyone confirm or deny these allegations?

I know you found your answer, but here is my $0.02

Is it more efficient? Yes, on my system. Your results may vary.
Is it much more efficient? No
Is the slight increase in efficiency worth the few extra minutes of work? That is for you to decide.

I double batch sparged my first few all grain batches. When I started getting consistent efficiency numbers, I tried single batch sparging strictly to simplify my brew day routine. My numbers dropped about 2-3%. For a 2-3% drop in efficiency, I stopped double batching and simply added a small amount of base malt to each recipe to make up the difference. In my mind 2-Row is cheap (I buy it in bulk) and the time/streamlined routine was worth the few cents worth of grain.

Back