Double-bagging grain bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echoareone

Reaction score
Hey all, I recently had a catastrophe with a porter I was brewing by DB's stovetop all-grain method. I had 12# of grain, and when I went to transfer into the sparge water, the bag ripped, leaving me with a slurry of grain.
To prevent future accidents like this, is using 2 grain bags an acceptable practice? Will I see any reduction in efficiency or weird temperature changes?

Instead of double bagging, I hear some people use three bags and put 1/3 grain bill in each bag. Makes them lighter and easier to handle for kettle transfers. Interested to hear other thoughts! Sorry to hear of the accident.

It was tragic.

The 1/3 idea sounds good. I did a 11# AG recipe, and being the psycho I am, had to hold the bag up until every single last drop of wort fell...a little tiring.

Ya me too I have done two BIAB AG 5gal recipes, both with about 12# of grain total. My bag held fine (so far gulp) but I think I will move to multi bag to avoid an accident. Spilling sticky wort is a PITA!

What I did was remove from the kettle (main or sparge) and hold it up for maybe 5 seconds to let some drip out. Then as FAST as I can I move it over an empty ale pale with a pasta strainer in the bottom. This holds the bag off the bottom of the bucket and it will drip by itself. Then later you can dump the drippings back into your kettle.

Back