Dortmunder Brown not so brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarvardSquareHomey

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I brewed our first Dort from a Brewer's Best kit. Actually I ended up doing most of the work, as she had to go to work. I think I did ok, although pouring into the primary while straining proved very trick solo. We just bottled a week ago, and I have to say, the color is more of a golden caramel color, rather than a brown. Looks like a Sam Adams Ale. Is color variation a major issue? And will my varied color be an indicator that the flavor isn't quite what it's supposed to be? Thanks peeps

It's your first brew, if it tastes good then I wouldn't worry about how it looks. And no, color is not necessarily an indicator that the flavor will be different then how it supposed to be. Once you get more into it then you can start worrying about things like color, and meeting exact beer guidelines. For now I would just focus on the technique. And if this one tastes good then chalk it up as a success.

Thanks Oompa Loompa,

well it wasn't our first beer, just our first Dortmunder. It was actually our first Dort. I just brewed our 6th and it was a Nut Brown, also from Brewer's Best. We did ok on this one, except for the fact that our airlock wasn't airtight from the get-go. Our next brew will be a 90min IPA clone of Dogfish Head. Any advice on this one?

Oops, sorry about that, guess I should have read your post a little more closely. But even still, unless you are obsessed with hitting correct BJCP guidelines, I wouldn't worry too much about color. For me personally taste is all that matters :)

No advice on the 90 min other then enjoy it. I love that stuff (love the 120 min even more) and plan on brewing it myself sometime in the future.

Back