Dorm Fridge Doesn't Cool Keg Space

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeinCT

Reaction score
My one year old fridge did a great job keeping bottles cold. So I have recently expanded the dorm size fridge to make space for kegs. I took the door off and added a section the width of the fridge (~19") and 21" long. Not quite finished but sealed enough to test. Anyway the temperature gets down to only 53 F. I have insulation. I put a fan inside to move air. I guess my next step is to cut the new space inside in half. This will be 10" by 19". Anyone have other ideas?

If it's well insulated and you are circulating air, even a very small dorm fridge should cool that much space. Can you find out how often it's cycling? Maybe you need to turn the temp down some more.

I ran it for a couple of hours and the lowest it would go was 53F. The compressor got pretty hot. But I am interested in your comments about being able to cool this size space. Ideally I will get this to work without reducing the size.

Assuming you've gotten your mod sealed up nice and tight (<= too important not to mention), it's all about R-value and surface area.

For example, if you roughly doubled the surface area with the addition, and managed to match the R-value of the addition to that of the original insulation, you'd still have doubled the thermal "loss" that the cooling system has to then step up to handle. If it's able, that is.

Before you chop up the work you've already done, perhaps doubling the insulation would be worth a shot...

Cheers!

stop!!!!

you *MUST* make certain the compressor is running long enough. If it is not, then your mod is not the problem.

If the compressor just runs forever and it does not get cold enough, then you have an issue with your mod or the evaporator is simply not sized to condition the space you are requiring it to.

That happened to my fridge too. Why don't you try unplugging it and let it stay like that for a couple of hours. If that doesn't work, try vacuuming the bottom of it from the front and back. Good luck my friend!

Thanks for all the help. I have resolved this issue with more insulation and a smaller interior space. I can now get my keg down to 33 F typically. Compressor does not seem to be working more than before the mod.

thanks, Mike

Back