Dopplebock Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arkador

Reaction score
Our homebrew club is doing a Dopplebock in the BigBrew rig this weekend. I see that it is supposed to be brewed as a lager, but I do not have a fermentation chamber, only a swamp cooler that i can use to get it down into the low 60's with ice additions.

what Ale yeast would i be best using? It typically calls for a Belgian Lager from the recipes I have found. Starting Gravity will be arround 1.080 to 1.090, so i plan to pitch the apropiate sized starter, and since I am driving my the LHBS, I would like to pick up my yeast today.

Something super clean that attenuates pretty well.

My vote goes for Pacman if you can get it. Keep that fermenter as cool as you can.

Isn't there a high gravity Belgian yeast out right now as one of the special editions? That might be interesting on the cool side as well.

What Doppelbock recipes are calling for a Belgian Lager yeast? That sounds really weird to me.

If you're brewing it as an ale, maybe WLP001 or WLP029, fermented at 62-64. You may want to up your pitching rate as well to subdue the esters as much as possible.

I tried the Imperial DoubleBock by Sam Adams (my first Dopplebock) last night... wow! 9.5% alc. I think I like the style and might consider brewing one myself.

The recipes in teh Bock section call for belgian Lager, Bohemian lager, or have nothing at all listed.

White Labs #833 (German Bock) is a fabulous yeast & as far as I'm concerned, should be the got-to yeast for any malty lager.

We have brewed 40 gallons of Dopplebock twice and used the Bock yeast at a room temp of about 66F. Kinda hard to get our 55-gal drum in the fridge. :drunk: Came out wonderful both times. Go with the lager yeast!

Back