Doppelbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I had one of these last night. I had been putting off lagers as I've thought ales tend to me more flavorful (mostly IPA's and darker ales), but talking to the waiter I had to try it. Very nice!

My problem is that I cannot make lagers. Is there a way for me to replicate it with an ale yeast? Maybe something like making a cream ale?

I've actually been pondering doppelbocks lately. In some ways they're like an imperial dry stout, a bit fruitier, with less hop bitterness and aroma. Especially the darker examples of the style. But I don't see any reason you couldn't use a typical doppelbock grain bill but use a clean fermenting ale yeast.

I had Ayinger Celebrator recently, which was fantastic. I don't know what you tried, but I can definitely recommend searching out a clone recipe for Celebrator and swapping out the yeast for a "lager-like" ale yeast. I'm sure some people around here would have recommendations on that.

Also, from the BJCP style guide:
Most versions are dark colored and may display the caramelizing and melanoidin effect of decoction mashing, but excellent pale versions also exist. The pale versions will not have the same richness and darker malt flavors of the dark versions, and may be a bit drier, hoppier and more bitter. While most traditional examples are in the ranges cited, the style can be considered to have no upper limit for gravity, alcohol and bitterness (thus providing a home for very strong lagers). Any fruitiness is due to Munich and other specialty malts, not yeast-derived esters developed during fermentation.

Back