Dont recognize this? Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knightmare1

Reaction score
I have been brewing for two years and 26 batches. 7 all grain. Always had great beer or at least beer I was very happy with until 4 batches ago when I got an infection in my system. I was using plastic fermenter. I have switched to a stainless brewbucket from Anvil and even went to a two piece valve on my brew Kettle. Believe me I tried every cleaning method mentioned on this forum but gave up. With my old fermenter I could never see the wort. Now I may be paranoid but this doesn't look good. Looks kinda like noodles in a chicken noodle soap.
Dump and Quit brewing? Or is it OK? This was a basic Smash pale ale with Golden promise and
mosaic. Didn't want to post on other forums as it seems everyone has seen too many photos like this.
20180320_174045.jpg

Hmmm, not 100% sure judging by the looks of it. I would say probably ok and that's just yeast?

How long has it been fermenting?
What yeast did you use?
Have you tasted a sample?

Rob2010SS
How long has it been fermenting? 16 days
What yeast did you use? US-05, straight pitch/ not reactivated
Have you tasted a sample? Nope, I am nervous about oxygen given recent experience and limited exposure.

bluehousebrewhaus: No wheat only Golden Promise which I have only used once. That once was the last batch I made which was infected. Repeated to try and compare and hopefully to compare and nail original goal.

Hmmm, not 100% sure judging by the looks of it. I would say probably ok and that's just yeast?

How long has it been fermenting? 16 days
What yeast did you use? us-05, straight pitch, no reactivated
Have you tasted a sample?
was dry hopping and limited exposure to O2 out paranoia from recent experiences.

Wouldn't help. Though it looks like infections are floating, if you can seem them they are in the beer and removing a visible colony is pointless. I don't want to concern you, that splatch might be nothing. Give your fermentor a shake a couple of days before you're ready to package to get those yeast rafts to sink.

The "splatch" (great word) looks like a reflection of your phone's camera light to me...and the blobs look like yeast. You'll never know until you taste! And it won't hurt your beer as long as you use sanitized equipment to get your sample. And a cold crash will also help the rafts drop.

Thanks all, was in work on a cold crash as soon as I added dry hops. It smells good so gonna just cold crash and wait and see. Not like I'm clogging up my pipeline as its all riding on this batch.

I have been brewing for two years and 26 batches. 7 all grain. Always had great beer or at least beer I was very happy with until 4 batches ago when I got an infection in my system. I was using plastic fermenter. I have switched to a stainless brewbucket from Anvil and even went to a two piece valve on my brew Kettle. Believe me I tried every cleaning method mentioned on this forum but gave up. With my old fermenter I could never see the wort. Now I may be paranoid but this doesn't look good. Looks kinda like noodles in a chicken noodle soap.
Dump and Quit brewing? Or is it OK? This was a basic Smash pale ale with Golden promise and
mosaic. Didn't want to post on other forums as it seems everyone has seen too many photos like this. View attachment 562863

I've gotten yellowish floating "iceberg" clusters just like that on some beers (cream ales) when I've used S-05 dry yeast and they were not infected.

If it tastes fine wait for FG, keg and drink quick if you're concerned and luckily you have a stainless fermenter so you can sanitize it very well.

16 days of fermentation. It should be done. Check it and taste. If it tastes bad then you will save yourself the effort of packaging a bad beer by dumping it.

If it isn't too highly hopped and upon closer inspection that thing that passedpawn is concerned about is actually something bad, I'd go ahead and just add some lacto, pedio, and brett and just let it go for a year and see what happens.

I'm not sure it would make your beer any better or safer to drink (although my very unscientific theory is that with sacc, lacto, pedio, and brett all around in high numbers and the pH dropping, the bad stuff might not be able to take hold and mess it up that bad) I'd just be curious to see what happens.

Back