Don't know what to expect from first brew Scotish Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ferrer_de_roca

Reaction score
Hi there ! I tried to do my first brew today. I found some problems and I have no idea about how is going to turn out. I thought about explaining a little bit the experience so you can point out some of the errors I might have done.

Recipe:
12,5 water liters.
4.5kg Pale Ale malt
1.5kg Amber malt
0,5kg toasted barley

125g E.K. Goldings hops

2h Maceration at 65 degrees celcius
2h boiling with the hops.

1. We milled the malt without a mill by hand, rolling a kind of wood thing to smash the grain. We saw a lot of white stuff when smashing so we are afraid of having milled the malt too much.

2. Then we did the maceration. Instead of using a maceration bag we dropped the malt free because we thought that it would help for the water to get most of the malts. We had problems controlling the temperature and the first 20 minutes we had a 73 degrees celsius instead of the 65 it should be. The rest of the time ( 1.5 hours ) the temperature was the correct.

3. When we filtered the liquid after maceration, we started to worry, because the density of the liquid was 1060 before the hops boiling. Then we started the hops boiling process and we stopped 30 minutes before the recipe said ( 1.5 hours ) because the density was getting really high. We chilled the liquid and we found out a density of 1130.

We decided to try to add water until the density lowers to the recommended 1050 by the recipe we're using.

So we just started the fermentation, hoping to see some bubbles soon. And our question is. Do you think that despite the problems something "decent" can come out ? And, what could be the density problem related to ? Maybe because we didn't mill the malt properly ? Or maybe because not using a maceration bag ? Or something else ? We used the ammount of water recommended in the recipe, but we're not sure if we added enought water.

Thank you !

Sounds like everything should be ok, the gravity was probably high because you over boiled and condensed the wort more than needed so the addition of top off water isn't a bad thing. Keep good notes about what you did so next time you can improve your process:)

@flars I have no idea. I haven't tried the wort....

@duboman It's good to know that adding water is not that bad ! I'm less worried now. The thing is that probably the recipe I used to make the beer is not very good... maybe the ammount of water is incorrect...

Thanks for your answers !
I'll keep you informed on how the fermentation progress is going.

Back