Dont forget the rubber....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcwi69

Reaction score
Ok so as I was putting the rubber stopper onto my carboy it slipped right thru the neck and ended up on the bottom of my fresh batch (yes i tried to back it out but just kept on slidding in). Since its made of rubber I'm guessing it wont effect the taste or fermenting process...am I correct in that assumption?

Hopefully I'm not the only dummy who has one this...

It depends. Did you have your hands completely soaked in Starsan while you were putting it in the first time, or was there a brief second where your hands were almost dry as you were desperately trying to pry the stopper out?

If at any time your hands were less than completely soaked in Starsan, then your beer is likely infected with some of the most despicable dregs of the bacterial underworld. Once it's done fermenting you'll need to contact some of your local homebrewers for proper disposal procedures.

This is definitely a time for relaxing, not worrying, and drinking beer. The gum rubber from the stopper won't have any effect on your beer, and the odds of introducing anything detrimental are extremely low. In the event that it did happen you'll be among the first to know.

(FYI, if you have to ask "Is this an infection?" it isn't. If you've got a real infection you'll know by the look, smell, and taste and will hopefully be posting a thread entitled "Look at this gnarly growth.")

I wouldnt say my hands were soaked in Starsan but there was some on my hands. Actually the Starsan made the rubber stopper and the inside of the carboy so slippery that the stopper couldnt grip the inside and slid right into the batch.

Guess I'll find out if its messed up or not sometime soon.

It depends. Did you have your hands completely soaked in Starsan while you were putting it in the first time, or was there a brief second where your hands were almost dry as you were desperately trying to pry the stopper out?

If at any time your hands were less than completely soaked in Starsan, then your beer is likely infected with some of the most despicable dregs of the bacterial underworld. Once it's done fermenting you'll need to contact some of your local homebrewers for proper disposal procedures.

This is definitely a time for relaxing, not worrying, and drinking beer. The gum rubber from the stopper won't have any effect on your beer, and the odds of introducing anything detrimental are extremely low. In the event that it did happen you'll be among the first to know.

(FYI, if you have to ask "Is this an infection?" it isn't. If you've got a real infection you'll know by the look, smell, and taste and will hopefully be posting a thread entitled "Look at this gnarly growth.")

LOL, your post made me laugh, but you might want to make it slightly more obvious that it is sarcasm........if I read those first two paragraphs as a newbie I'd be freaking out!!!

amcwi69 - I'd bet money that this mishap will not affect you and the beer will turn out great.

This just happened to me yesterday. First time it's happened too. My son was helping me out and when it popped in you would have thought we just killed someone, he freaked.

Oh well. All was clean and sanitized.

I did the same thing with a rubber grommet on my first batch and stuck my arm (washed with Dial antibacterial soap) into the bucket to retrieve it, it came out fine... I have also while sampling during brewing, pushed stoppers in, used another and let it sit in the wort.. nothing bad happened there either.

I think in 1904 the Reinheitsgebot was amended to add a fifth ingredient of rubber.

Adds a subtle complexity to any beer flavor.

I've dropped so many bungs, stoppers and grommets in batches in the past five months that I'm thinking of adding them as an ingredient in BeerSmith.

+1 that all is probably right with the world.

One recommendation--after I did the same thing a few years ago, I invested in some of those carboy bungs with the lip around the edge.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/universal-carboy-bung-drilled.html

They don't have as much of a problem staying in even when they're wet with StarSan. They won't accidentally pop all the way through.

Good luck getting that sucker out! It's no fun--but at least you'll have beer!

If at any time your hands were less than completely soaked in Starsan, then your beer is likely infected with some of the most despicable dregs of the bacterial underworld. Once it's done fermenting you'll need to contact some of your local homebrewers for proper disposal procedures.")

I’m usually the family smartass but since this was my first lager I was extremely anal about the whole process. So when I read you post it kind of freaked me out since I over looked the sarcasm.
Well played whatisitgoodfor, kick a man when he is down… :)

Back