Domestic 2-row vs. British Pale Ale Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brackbrew

Reaction score
Trying to decide whether to use regular domestic 2-row pale malt or british pale ale malt in a cinnamon porter I'm formulating. Usually, I'm an extract brewer that uses a simplified partial mash method outlined in an Oct/Nov BYO from a few years ago. I also remember reading somewhere, though, that british pale ale malt is somehow (drastically?) different from our 2-row. Can I use the same partial mash method for the Brit stuff and get the fermentable goodies I need, or do I need to just use domestic 2-row?

My father-in-law has a lot of my brewing books right now, otherwise I'd look this up myself!

BREW ON:rockin:

They are pretty interchangeable for the process that you'd use for your partial mash, but they will contribute some different flavors. The domestic 2 row will be lighter and a bit more neutral, contributing less to the flavor. The Maris Otter (British malt) will add a slightly bready/toasty quality to the beer and tends to make the beer have a slightly thicker mouthfeel. It'll also likely cost more.

I brewed 2 almost identical extract American Ales one week apart. The differences were in the type of hops and one I used 1 lb of 2 row Lovibond 1.5 crushed and steeped for 45 minutes. the other I used 1 of of Pale Ale malt Lovibond 2.25 crushed and steeped for the same amount of time and temperature. Both were Carlson.

The 2 row had a much better head and head retention. I doubt if the hops had anything to do with it. Can anyone explain what happened? Is there really a difference between the two malts?

It's difficult to say Brewham. While I think there is a difference between the malts, you are only using 1 lb of grain beside whatever your malt extract is. It would be easier to pull any difference if you were brewing all-grain, using more of the malt in question. Therefore, any difference is more likely the result of variables in your fermentation regarding yeast health, temperature, etc. Until you brew the same recipe multiple times consistently, you may not be able to verify reasons for any subtle differences. You might brew it again and find much better head retention. There in lies the challenge and beauty of brewing.

Back