Domestic 2-Row barley malt???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElevenBrewCo

Reaction score
hello all!!

My first batch was a ale kit with malt extract and i just completed my brewstand and ready to do full grain. The kit i purchased was an amber color and i want to do the full grain version of it. It calls for 7 lbs of Domestic 2-Row barley malt.....what is that considered or where can i get it? It was a great hit at my christmas party and people actually took bottles from me so i want to make a bigger batch.

Long story short whats a domestic barley malt? and will it give me the same amber color as my kit?:tank:

What else was in the recipe? I'm guessing that 2-row domestic malt is your standard American grown barley commonly used as a base malt for a variety of beers. It does not impart a red or amber color, however, so there must've been some other grain in that recipe. Can you post the recipe?

Examples of 2-row domestic barley malt:

Briess

Rahr

There are others, of course, but this will give you the idea.

TB

yes it called for 1lb of honey malt also.......so im taking the barley malt is the base, and the honey adds the color?

yes it called for 1lb of honey malt also.......so im taking the barley malt is the base, and the honey adds the color?

Is that the full recipe? That's not going to give you amber. Honey malt is pretty light, in the 20L range, if memory serves. It's a variety of crystal malt, I think, but differs from standard crystal somehow. It's on the wiki here. You'll need something else if you want the beer to come out amber colored. Check the recipes section for some ideas. Dark crystal, carafa, roasted, or other similar malts all may work in the right quantities.

And yes, any standard American base malt will work fine. Just look for something with "pale" in the name, in the 1.8-3L range, and you'll be fine.

Latest posts

Back