Doing my first lager this weekend...few questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suthrncomfrt1884

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I've finally decided to jump into lagers, so I'm a bit confused about a few things. I've read up a lot on it, but can't seem find definate answers.

I've done a few before, but I've never been 100% sure about my process.

1. On a typical lager, I'm fermenting at around 50F, doing a diectyl rest at 65ish, then slowly dropping temps and lagering at 35ish for 4-6 weeks...I understand that. What I don't get it when to carbonate. Do I carbonate before I lager it or after? I'm assuming it would have to be after, so if that's the case...will there be enough yeast to naturally carbonate? If not, I can use kegs, I just want to be sure.

2. When I add my priming sugar, should I raise the beer to room temp? Then add priming sugar and bottle?

3. If lagering is done before carbonation, can I bottle and age at room temp, or do the bottles always have to stay at 35ish once they've been lagered? I'm wanting to do a lot of lagers over the winter since my garage is climate controlled and it's easy to keep at 50 at all times in the winter. I'm just concerned I don't have enough space in my fridges to hold multiple kegged/bottled batches.

4. If I can allow the bottles to condition at room temp...how long will they last? Is it the same as ales?

Sorry about all the questions... I just want to make sure I have all the details down. I feel like a newbie again.

1. Carbonate after lagering. BTW, the diacetyl rest may not be necessary. Depends on how long your primary is.
2. Always warm beer to room temp to carbonate.
3. See #1
4. Will last indefinitely. Try a bottle in 3 weeks or so. If carbed, refrigerate when needed.

2. When I add my priming sugar, should I raise the beer to room temp? Then add priming sugar and bottle?

If you're asking if you need to bring the temp up before bottling, then no. There should still be enough yeast to carb, and in my mind, doing so risks things going back into suspension - something one usually wants to avoid in a lager.

As far as carbing temps go, anything at or above normal fermentation temps is fine. I consider @50 degrees to be just about optimum for storage and conditioning.

Back