Doh!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubakevdm

Reaction score
I split a ten gallon batch of Irish Red Ale into two fermentors. One i pitched with 1084, the other with 2035. So I'm thinking, I was very careful to make sure I dumped the same yeast strains in each of the carboys, and I'm thinking that this was clever. I am, at this point however, beginning to wish that I had marked the carboys. I wouldn't be wondering if I was lagering ale and fermenting lager yeast in my hall closet right now.

I double pitched with no starters. The one in the closet really took off, 36 hrs after pitching the krausen has fallen and the bubbling has wound down considerably. The one in the fridge I let start at room temp then put it in at 50* after 20 hrs of fermentation because one of the packs didn't puff up and it seemed like a good idea at the time. Anyway, that one is bubbling away at 50 degrees, actually more than the one in my closet now. They seem okay. All I need is for a bunch of people to tell me:

1) There's no way 1084 would be bubbling away at 50 degrees, therefore the right fermentors went into the right places.

2) the initial high ferm temp of the lager half shouldn't be too bad in an Irish Red, especially if I let it warm up for a few days before I bring it down to 40 degrees.

This is what I've been telling myself, but it would sound better coming from people who know what they're doing.

Back