D'Oh sugar moment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISLAGI

1 beer short of a sixer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, so i want to blame this one on SWMBO cuz she is the one who "checked" it...but that might mean sleeping in the recliner with the dog, so I guess I won't.

Bottling a perfect EdWort Haus Pale last night, and I asked her to double check the amount of sugar I needed for bottling. She had some trouble with the mouse and finally found the amount at the bottom of the screen (I use Beersmith). I had originally measured out around 4.5 ozs. to use, shooting for around 2.5 volumes.

She tells me 2.3 ozs. I think WTF?!? but go ahead and dutifully take the sugar off the scale, after I verify the # on the screen.

Fast forward to 1 hour later when the last of the bottles is capped and I am doing cleanup, getting the laptop out of the way to avoid splashes. I look at the recipe before I shut BS down, and "Oh s#%t!" it is set to the kegged sugar amount.:(

Sure enough, I originally had the right amount, but she somehow changed the setting, so I ended up using only half the sugar i should have.

Anybody have any thoughts on what a PA will taste like with about 1.4 volumes of carb?

PS I have no kegging ability at this time.

Tanks...

Just rock it, the beer will carb a little, as long as its a good beer it will still taste just fine. When i keg my beers I normally will start drinking them before they are carbed just because i want to... No worries.

Why not pop the tops, add a little simple syrup (calculated of course) to each bottle, and recap. It 'd be a small price to pay to get the beer you were looking forward to. If it's still early, it should work. A buddy of mine did something similar a while back with an oatmeal stout that wouldn't carbonate for some reason.

I'd just drink them a little undercarbed. My first few batches were undercarbonated but they still tasted damned good.

Back