D'oh! Malt extract!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbadMF

Reaction score
Howdy all,

Brewing a partial mash stout yesterday, got a bit distracted and completely forgot to add the malt extract in to the boil. Dumped it in and stirred it around good before cooling, and proceeded as normal.

Im pretty sure its not 'ruined', was bubbling merrily away this am. But i am wondering whateffects it could have if any? Flavor, ferment?

Thanks for any opionions!

Good thing is you didn't caramelize your malt any, might not be as sanitary as some like however if you poured it in before cooling it should be warm enough to pasteurize the malt depending how long you left it before cooling. The only negative is you didn't get some of the chemicals out that boil out however with malt extracts they have been boiled to get to their current state so I think you will be ok. Think of it like a late extract add or if you have any experience with Honey you add those at the very end so you don't kill the flavor. RDWHAHB :)

Lots of folks who do PMs (myself included) wait on the extract until the last 10 minutes (or at flameout, which sounds like what you did). Unless you started cooling it first, the wort should have been hot enough to pasteurize the extract. I've found that I get more out of my hops that way, plus you can keep the lighter colored beers lighter this way.

Yeah....I meant to do it that way... :)!

Cool, good to know. Yes it was before cooling, just after I took it off the burner. considered putting it back on the heat, but figured it was hot enuf still.

Thanks guys!

Back