Dogfish Head - Rare Brews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakersbrew

Reaction score
I just found out Dogfish Head makes a bunch of rare beers like Pangaea (brewed with ingredients from all continents) and Chateau Jiahu (9,000 year old recipe). Any idea where I can get these? Has anyone tried them?

My local deli carries both, but that's not much help to you. If you do find it, be prepared to spend some coin. I believe Pangaea and Jiahu(and Theobroma) were $25each for a wine bottle size

different but respectable beers

Even at higher prices? I think Dogfish is fine, but is starting to get over-rated now. I mean "Pangaea" seems like a great marketing ploy (you could claim one really pedistrian ingredient is from one continent then another). It's not like they put in 100 exotic ingredients from all over the world into "Pangea".

Even at higher prices? I think Dogfish is fine, but is starting to get over-rated now. I mean "Pangaea" seems like a great marketing ploy (you could claim one really pedistrian ingredient is from one continent then another). It's not like they put in 100 exotic ingredients from all over the world into "Pangea".

well, there's only 7 continents :p

Whether or not you like beers like Pangea, I suspect that DFH loses money on them so at least the cost is justified by the expense of production (if not the utility).

The upside for them is that every time they release one of these they get an article written about them in a magazine or paper which generally has wide higher income readership. This is genius.

Whether or not you like beers like Pangea, I suspect that DFH loses money on them so at least the cost is justified by the expense of production (if not the utility).

I'm not sure they lose money on their limited beers: A: the production costs are minimal compared to the costs of mantaining a large distribution for their regular ales, and B: there's a more limited distribution, so less distribution fees. But their ROI might be less, as manufacturers know that you get more unit sales for something that's inexpensive vs something that's more expensive.

Anyways, when it comes to a monetary value on beer, I'm probably more cynical because I like my beer the best and it's cheaper per pint :mug:

I'm no CFO for Dogfish Head, but after reading "Brewing up a business" I've gotten some interesting insight into the motivations of Sam and establishing his brand. I'm pretty sure they lose a fair bit of money on this beer. Imagine the shipping cost to have water from Antarctica!? They brew it because it's in step with what the company is about, making unique extreme beers.

My local deli carries both, but that's not much help to you. If you do find it, be prepared to spend some coin. I believe Pangaea and Jiahu(and Theobroma) were $25each for a wine bottle size

holy shiite muslims, batman! $25 a piece? i've seen it much cheaper in the metro DC area. not cheap, but not that expensive.

I can get most of the DFH "rare" beers at my local beer place, which is in the Pittsburgh, PA area. I don't know how they're distributed otherwise, though.

Just got back from a trip from the brewery up in Milton, Delaware.

They had all of their ancient ales in 750 mL bottles for 5-7 bones, cheap 6 packs and cases too!

I got to try most of them (if not all) while I was there, and I have to say that I didn't really like any of them that much. They were just weird for the sake of weird, it seemed.

I like most of DFH's stuff, despite the fact that people can be hard on them here. I think Pangea is a really good beer, and have found it here in Boston for $12. I think its "season" is around thanksgiving. I believe Sah'Tea is out now, which I think is even better. Also $12.

Honestly, there are very few DFH's I haven't liked. I think Indian Brown is gross. But Palo Santo Marron is one of my favorite beers ever. (Again, that might get some people mad!)

Honestly, there are very few DFH's I haven't liked. I think Indian Brown is gross. But Palo Santo Marron is one of my favorite beers ever. (Again, that might get some people mad!)

+1 to the Palo Santo. One of my favorite beers ever, though don't think it really counts as a brown at 12%. Worldwide Stout is fantastic as well but no idea if you can get that in California.

+1 to the Palo Santo. One of my favorite beers ever, though don't think it really counts as a brown at 12%. Worldwide Stout is fantastic as well but no idea if you can get that in California.

Palo Santo ++. I also really like the Theobroma, and have tried a few times to brew something similar, but never got close.

Of their ancient ales I think Theobroma is the best. Though, I appreciate all of them. People have to remember that these are ancient recipes and just because they are not what you are used to in a beer, does not mean they are bad beers...

Of their ancient ales I think Theobroma is the best. Though, I appreciate all of them. People have to remember that these are ancient recipes and just because they are not what you are used to in a beer, does not mean they are bad beers...

I'll agree with you on that one... I tried Theobroma this past weekend for the first time, a bar restaurant in Tampa had just tapped a keg the day before, and I thought it was excellent.

"Bad" is a word which is susceptible to perception, "gimicky" would be appropriate though.

There is nothing gimmicky about a guy who is intensely passionate about beer, trying to experiement and have fun with his passion. What is gimmicky about re-creating recipes for ales from thousands of years ago? Just because it isnt approved by a nonsensical German law doesnt mean its a gimmick. Beer was made with exotic and exciting ingredients local to the region they were brewed long before the 1500's, and THAT is the real tradition.

There is nothing gimmicky about a guy who is intensely passionate about beer, trying to experiement and have fun with his passion.

The relevant definition of gimmick is "a trick or device used to attract business or attention."

I think finding an ingredient from each continent is a gimmick. Does water from Antarctica taste different from normal water? No? Then it's a gimmick. I don't have a problem with that, but it is a gimmick.

What about "continuous hopping?" Does it truly change the taste of an IPA? If you think not (which is what I think), then it is purely a gimmick. Again, I have no problem with that. In fact, DFH 90 min is my favorite IIPA (and I am not a huge IPA guy). So they make a beer I like, and they have a fun gimmick to go along with it. Sounds fine to me!

The Palo Santo Wood is a little gimmicky. Sam Calagione has tried to attract a lot of attention to the beer with videos of cutting the wood and whatnot. But, on the non-gimmicky side, it affects the taste of the beer (in my opinion, for the better). So, good for them. I hope it helps keep the PSM flowing.

I really think that Theobroma is one of their best seasonal offerings. I've been waiting for it for months and finally picked it up last week. I get the bombers for $16 at my local six pack store. They carry Theobroma, Sahtea, Black and Blue, Red and White, Pangea, and Namaste. They also sell WWS in singles for $8! They carry almost every DFH offering including Palo Santo, Burton Baton, and Immort-ale. I'd still take a Hop Devil over 60 Minute anyday.

This discussion is a classic example of a my taste / your taste issue. I happen to really, really like DFH, and I agree with anyone here who agrees with me. I will try any seasonal they release, and probably buy a couple extras to age. I visit the brewery and pub any time I pass through Delaware. I think people who don't like DFH must not know anything about beer (please read the huge sarcasm and tongue firmly in cheek!!!)

More specific example: MacGruber seems to like some of the wierder DFH brews, but doesn't seem to like 60 min IPA as much -- I think 60 min is the absolute definition and pinnacle of an IPA, and it's the one beer that turned me on to IPA as a style. I still like and even love many other IPA's, but 60 min to me is the best, and will likely always be my favorite commercial example.

Bottom line: If you don't like it, don't drink it. If you can afford it, and you like it, drink all the DFH you want!

Oh, and Sam C. probably makes more money than most of us, and I'm pretty sure he loves his job, so he must be doing something right......

I fail to see how DFH is more overrated than Stone, or more gimmicky then Brewdog. (OH SNAP FLAMEBAIT)

They definitely try different things. The results are usually cost more than I feel like paying for beer (I'm a cheapass), and they're not something I'd drink every day, but the historical angle appeals to me.

Definitely seems like Sam C is about as controversial as Jim Koch. Must mean he's doing something right. :p

Sam is the man, I love all of their oddball offerings for one reason or another. I don't think they're overrated at all. Now Stone on the other hand....

Don't get me wrong. I like almost ALL DFH brews. In fact, I like everything but their Berliner-Weiss. My brother in law thinks, as many do, that the 60 minute is the epitome of IPA. I tend to like the maltier Hop Devil myself.

I live in VA and can get DogFish readily, but they don't sell Lost Abbey brews out here.

Sounds like a great opportunity for a beer swap!

I haven't been able to get to DFH and I keep hearing about the blood orange hefeweizen. I saw it on their website a few years ago and have been intrigued ever since. A lot of people here are brewing it and say it's amazing. It's in my queue of beers to brew.

Don't get me wrong. I like almost ALL DFH brews. In fact, I like everything but their Berliner-Weiss. My brother in law thinks, as many do, that the 60 minute is the epitome of IPA. I tend to like the maltier Hop Devil myself.

I too like most DFH brews, with a single notable exception: the "raison d'être" brew. I bought a 4 pack or a six pack, and tried twice to drink it. I made it to the bottom of the bottle each time, but vowed to never drink it again. It tasted way to strong of grapes and rasins, way too sweet, and had that bubblegum taste. The strong alcohol also contributed a solvent type flavor to it, which was hard to get around. As it warmed up, it got even worse. I just can't stand it. SWMBO tried it (she prefers wine so I thought she would like the wine-y taste to it) and she couldn't finish the bottle. We poured the rest of it out. But, thats what you get when you try different things, sometimes you get a terrible brew, but at least I tried it. I've been wanting to try some of their more gimmicky ancient brews, just to try them.

Back