Dogfish Head in California...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fusion94

Reaction score
Well it's finally happened. I went into my local BevMo this afternoon and lo and behold I almost ran a stack of Dogfish Head beer. I've heard nothing but good things about it and have wanted to try it for awhile now.

I ended up picking up a case of DFH 90 which ending up running me $73.50. Just cracked open the first one and it's without a doubt the best beer I've ever had.

Best ever? From the land of the west coast hop monsters, Russian River, Ballast Point, Port, Lost Abbey Stone, Green Flash, Alesmith, Moylans, ect.

DFH has some great stuff...dunno if I would class 90 in the best category of even east coast brews but nice to hear you're diggin.

I am not familiar with that beer.

Why is it so expensive?

Sounds like I may have to try and find it. I wonder if it is available in Texas?

I just moved out here from MD, and this excites me greatly.
I used to frequent our local Dogfish Brewpub back east, and dearly miss many of the brews.

I hope we can start getting it on tap out here as well.

I thought dogfish head was pretty much available everywhere. i guess thats because ive been able to buy it here in florida for quite a while and the beer selection down here is pretty bad at most places.

The 90 min. is one of my favorite IPAs out there.

I have been meaning to pickup a few of these:

Palo Santo Marron
Availability: Limited Release 12-ounce bottles, 4-packs
Release Date: Monthly releases in 2008

Palo Santo Marron (Holy Tree Brown)
An unfiltered, unfettered, unprecedented brown ale aged in handmade wooden brewing vessels. The caramel and vanilla complexity unique to this beer comes from the exotic Paraguayan Palo Santo wood from which these tanks were crafted. Palo Santo means "holy tree" and it's wood has been used in South American wine-making communities.

This beer is a 12% abv, highly roasty, and malty brown ale aged on the Palo Santo wood. It was a huge hit at our Rehoboth Beach brewpub when first released in November of 2006, so it's coming back... into full production!

At 10,000 gallons each, these are the largest wooden brewing vessels built in America since before Prohibition.

PaloSanto_label.jpg

I have been meaning to pickup a few of these:

Palo Santo Marron
Availability: Limited Release 12-ounce bottles, 4-packs
Release Date: Monthly releases in 2008

Palo Santo Marron (Holy Tree Brown)
An unfiltered, unfettered, unprecedented brown ale aged in handmade wooden brewing vessels. The caramel and vanilla complexity unique to this beer comes from the exotic Paraguayan Palo Santo wood from which these tanks were crafted. Palo Santo means "holy tree" and it's wood has been used in South American wine-making communities.

This beer is a 12% abv, highly roasty, and malty brown ale aged on the Palo Santo wood. It was a huge hit at our Rehoboth Beach brewpub when first released in November of 2006, so it's coming back... into full production!

At 10,000 gallons each, these are the largest wooden brewing vessels built in America since before Prohibition.

PaloSanto_label.jpg

I keep looking for this beer locally, the description is intriguing enough to make me want to try it.

I keep looking for this beer locally, the description is intriguing enough to make me want to try it.

I encountered some Dieu De Ciel @ the bottle shop last week that took priority over DFH...heck, I just have to get around to grabbing a couple bottles.

Well it's finally happened. I went into my local BevMo this afternoon and lo and behold I almost ran a stack of Dogfish Head beer. I've heard nothing but good things about it and have wanted to try it for awhile now.

I ended up picking up a case of DFH 90 which ending up running me $73.50. Just cracked open the first one and it's without a doubt the best beer I've ever had.

Glad to see DFH has moved West. I love DFH and hit their original brewpub in Rehoboth, DE several times a year...

Either way, I also wouldn't classify the 90Min as "best of" in this category, but its decent...

I had the same find at Bevmo. I found the 90min to be too sweet for my tastes though, bordering on cloying. It was different and interesting, it just won't ever be on my favorite list.
I would like to try more DFH. They also had a brown ale (can't remember the name) that I'll probably pick up next time. At $11 a four pack, It won't be a regular in my bag though.

They also had a brown ale (can't remember the name) that I'll probably pick up next time. At $11 a four pack, It won't be a regular in my bag though.

If it's their "India Brown Ale", it's pretty darn good IMO. It's probably my favorite beer of theirs and is a year-round offering...

If it's the Palo Santo Marron, I haven't had it yet, but hoping they have some next weekend. I'll be there celebrating my birthday and the holiday!

I feel like the 90 is good every once in a while, and the 120 is almost a novelty beer.

The 60 is great all the time.

Where are you regularly buying DFH now? Is it similarly priced most places? That has been the single biggest beef that I've had with DFH. The pricing is really out of wack. I'd much rather buy more local beers that are cheaper and in many cases, better.

Where are you regularly buying DFH now? Is it similarly priced most places? That has been the single biggest beef that I've had with DFH. The pricing is really out of wack. I'd much rather buy more local beers that are cheaper and in many cases, better.

Ugh, I can't even find it out here, much less find it at a good price. I just moved out here from MD, and I used to frequent the Dogfish pub a few miles from my house. I sure do miss that place.

Ugh, I can't even find it out here, much less find it at a good price. I just moved out here from MD, and I used to frequent the Dogfish pub a few miles from my house. I sure do miss that place.

It's around. The price seems to be the same everywhere. Theres a good little blurb on beer prices in general in the latest adition of BeerAdvocate's print mag that really opened my eyes. I knew in the back of my mind that things just weren't right and when I really look at pricing, it's very apparent which breweries are more mindful that others IMO.

Good to have DFH head back though. They were dropped by another distributor and had to wait two years to come back into the state (CA law). Too bad it's with Harbor (now owned by Reyes). Oh well.

I was on my way to BevMo after work anyway, but I may leave early if there's a chance of picking up some DFH! I've been wanting to try these things for a long time, and was about to pull the trigger on a web order.

I fear my expectations may be a bit high:p

DFH had their west cost release party at O'Briens in San Diego the Friday of the World Beer Cup/Craft Brewers Conference. Sam came out and was serving beers that night.

They had 90 minute, Midas Touch and Palo Santo Marron on tap that night and have had 90 minute and midas touch on tap frequently since then and they have the PSM in the bottle.

I like the 90 minute more than I thought I would and for me it's $5 for a 20 oz tap serving. It's a little spendy, but not that bad. There's no way in hell I'd pay $73 for a case though.

The midas touch is way too sweet for me. I don't think I'll be trying it again. the PSM is great. I really liked the flavor of it and will probably continue to drink it occasionally.

From what I heard, these 3 beers are the first 3 they'll be distributing out here on the west coast and hopefully more will follow once sales pick up.

There's no way in hell I'd pay $73 for a case though

Damn skippy. Plus you've got all the local options:

Alesmith
Stone
Ballast Point
Port/Lost Abbey
Alpine
Green Flash

The list goes on and on. I tried some of the DFH products when they were distro'd by Stone and I'm sure that I'll try them again but I'm a bit over trying to seek out a beer that is hard to find AND over priced when I can go to almost any local store now and pick up the whole list above. Not to knock, just frustrated.

Trip to BevMo was a success. They had DFH90, the brown ale and the Midas Touch. I bought a four-pack of the 90 minute for about $10.99. It better be damn good.

Tasting in just a bit after the kids go to bed.

EDIT FOR TASTING

So I'm about finished with the glass. To be honest, it isn't really doing it for me. I can see where a lot of people really like it, so this is no knock on the brewer. In fact, it makes me want to find their 60 Minute IPA. That said, this one is just too sweet for me and has too much of an alcohol burn on the finish. I can see what they were going for and I'm sure they nailed it....just not for me.

I'm quite surprised the beer isn't more bitter. It really seems to lean heavily on the sticky, sweet malts with the hops adding more flavor than bitterness. I definitely get more alcohol than hops bitterness in the finish. The hops flavors also are not as fresh and bold as other IIPA's I've had. Moylan's Hopsickle is an example of what I was expecting. I'm wondering if cross-country shipping has altered the flavor any?

Either way, like I said, I can see people liking this, just not my style.

Damn skippy. Plus you've got all the local options:

Alesmith
Stone
Ballast Point
Port/Lost Abbey
Alpine
Green Flash

The list goes on and on. I tried some of the DFH products when they were distro'd by Stone and I'm sure that I'll try them again but I'm a bit over trying to seek out a beer that is hard to find AND over priced when I can go to almost any local store now and pick up the whole list above. Not to knock, just frustrated.

you get alpine in Encino?

I know a few places down here that sell it.

for up north, your best bet is probably the bottle shop at pizza port carlsbad

I know a few places down here that sell it.

for up north, your best bet is probably the bottle shop at pizza port carlsbad

That place is dangerous.
Edwort and I ended up there at the end of the beer tour and it was definitely F-street for beer drinkers. We just stood there with our heads spinning trying to make up our minds as to what we should try.
Churchill's usually has at least one on draft, plus a few bottles.

For any kind of an update. Where are the socal folks getting DFH at retail?

Was at Bevmo this weekend. They still had the 90min, Palo Santo Marron, and the Midas Touch. I am curious to try the PSM, but not at almost $15 for 4 12oz. The Midas Touch does not interest me, unless several people here pipe up with some rave reviews.
So strange to me that they would only be distributing the (arguably) odd brews, and not their standards.

Was at Bevmo this weekend. They still had the 90min, Palo Santo Marron, and the Midas Touch. I am curious to try the PSM, but not at almost $15 for 4 12oz. The Midas Touch does not interest me, unless several people here pipe up with some rave reviews.
So strange to me that they would only be distributing the (arguably) odd brews, and not their standards.

I was at both local (to me) BevMo's with no luck. I'd be interested in the PSM, it's on tap at a few places around me so I think that I'll take that route prior to bottles. I'd just like to be able to find the 90 or 120 ANYWHERE.

I was at both local (to me) BevMo's with no luck. I'd be interested in the PSM, it's on tap at a few places around me so I think that I'll take that route prior to bottles. I'd just like to be able to find the 90 or 120 ANYWHERE.

Well, if you are ever down as far as the 78 in Oceanside. They've had it pretty regularly at the Bevmo just off Jefferson.

Back