dogfish head brewpub in Delaware

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOMEBREWZ

Reaction score
Going to the dogfish head Brew pub in Delaware next week, whats the first beer i should try ? and im sure ill bring a case of fine booze home of whatever i like best :mug:

Call ahead and see what night they will have the randall hooked up and go then. We had the 90 minute going thru the randall once and it was fantastic.

I frequent there every now and again (since I live 9 miles away) and by far my favorites are in order: lawnmower, Johnny cask, black and blue, 90 min. IMHO everything else sucks

Just went there 4 times last week while we vacationed in Rehoboth.

I'd suggest trying the Chicory Stout and My Antonia. They are quite good in my opinion. The 120 minute IPA was on draft and I suspect they will still have it when you go since they just put it out on the 10th or 11th. I rather like it though the sweetness is surprising at first. (And at $7 a glass, it is a steal compared to getting it in the bottle)

Here's the list of what is on tap right now: http://www.dogfish.com/restaurant/menus/brews-whats-on-tap.htm

See if you can get a tour of the distillery upstairs. When we went there last year, we were invited upstairs to meet the Distiller and see her making the spirits. It was pretty cool. I would stay away from the Black and Blue. It is one of the worst beers I have ever had. I tried it at the Oregon Brewers Festival and I had to dump it. It has mint in it that completely ruins the beer. You might ask for a sample before buying a full mug. My .02

I was there this past weekend. Had two 120 minutes, a 2008 Olde School Barleywine, and their collab with Sierra Nevada called Life & Limb. Check out what they have in the 'secret stash'. And if they still have the 120 minute, you MUST get that. At least one ...

Sacdan said:
See if you can get a tour of the distillery upstairs. When we went there last year, we were invited upstairs to meet the Distiller and see her making the spirits. It was pretty cool. I would stay away from the Black and Blue. It is one of the worst beers I have ever had. I tried it at the Oregon Brewers Festival and I had to dump it. It has mint in it that completely ruins the beer. You might ask for a sample before buying a full mug. My .02

I think the stuff at the Oregon brewfest was black and red and it didn't get very good reviews.

I agree with the poster who mentioned trying brews specific to the pub. Those are the specialty beers that will most likely never hit stores. I hope someday to make it there but I'll need a better reason to visit Delaware other than to try a brewpub! Hopefully you get to meet and talk with Sam..

Yes it was black and red and stay far far away from that, horrible stuff. Black and blue is good IMHO

I was there this past weekend. Had two 120 minutes, a 2008 Olde School Barleywine, and their collab with Sierra Nevada called Life & Limb. Check out what they have in the 'secret stash'. And if they still have the 120 minute, you MUST get that. At least one ...

How was the barleywine? I -almost- got it but I couldn't quite bring myself to pay the price they were asking. (What was it, again? $18 for a bottle?)

Unlike the others, I would suggest at least getting a sample of the Black & Red. It is an odd brew to say the least but I kind of liked it. A lot of mint but I love mint so that wasn't bad. It seemed to me to be a "sit in front of the fireplace for 3 hours while sipping on an 8 ounce glass" kind of brew.

Wow! Did they wheel you out or where you able to walk on your own after all that?! :cross:

Wow! Did they wheel you out or where you able to walk on your own after all that?! :cross:

Hah, I fully prepared for this, so we had plenty of food and I had at least a glass of water per beer I drank. The glasses of 120 weren't bottle sized (thank god), or else that would have been a different story.

As for the Olde School, it was good but I wouldn't pay a lot for it again (was it really $15? I need to check my receipt.) It was around 15% abv, and even though it had been aging since 2008 I don't think it had enough time to mellow out. Very sweet at first but I got a nice kick of hot alcohol at the end of each sip. I prefer aged SN Bigfoot far more.

Back