Dogfish Head 90 or 120 min clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oguss0311

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good recipe that is similar to Dogfish's 90 or 120 min IPA's? Yooper has a 60 min. clone- and I've loved her recipes before (I think it was the Rogue Dead Guy Ale clone). But- to me- the 60 is not Super different from my current IPA's. The 90 and 120 min are so darn rich, heavy and Awesome.
If not, I'll most likely make her 60 min.- because I believe I'd agree with her when she states that she prefers hers to theirs.
Thanks!
:mug:

ahs has a double IPA that is pretty tasty and has a similar rich/mouth feel to the 90min IPA. Slightly diffrent taste though.

Not only are the recipes out there for 120 minute complex (involving added syrups to achieve desired O.G) but they will set you back about $100 for a 5g batch.

I would go for the 90

Dogfish Head 90

16.5# Pilsner malt
1.66# Amber malt
16 AAU Amarillo (continuous 90-0 Minutes)
8 AAU Simcoe (continuous 90-0 Minutes)
8 AAU Warrior (continuous 90-0 Minutes)
1 oz Amarillo (Dry Hop)
.5 oz Simcoe (Dry Hop)
.5 oz Warrior (Dry Hop
Wyeast 1099 (Whitbread)

OG 1.088
FG 1.021
IBU - 90
SRM-13

Step mash. Mash in at 122 then raise to 149. Mash out at 170. Boil 105 minutes, start adding hops at 90 minutes, about .25 oz every 7.5 minutes.

Source, BYO Clone Recipe

Now, I've not brewed this, but I'll say that their Two-Hearted clone from the same issue was outstanding.

Not only are the recipes out there for 120 minute complex (involving added syrups to achieve desired O.G) but they will set you back about $100 for a 5g batch.

I would go for the 90

Good Lord! See- I'm not super surprised to hear that though- I knew it had to be Big on fermentables one way or another. Stunted Monkey's recipe does look really interesting though.
Thanks'

Here in Cbus OH the 120 is about 1 dollar per oz. when the local beer store even has it, which I have never witnessed myself. Have had the beer before (years ago), loved it.

I would be interested in a recipe for this beer - possibly in a 2 gal batch. I'd think an OG of around 1.13 would be appropriate, finishing at 1.030. Should be around 13% and take a year at least. Since some could get it locally, might they be interested in an experiment? Taste test for us and post what you think!

The hard part on these recipes is the continuous hops - you have to develop some sort of interesting contraption, or sit there and add hops every couple minutes.

Here in Cbus OH the 120 is about 1 dollar per oz. when the local beer store even has it, which I have never witnessed myself. Have had the beer before (years ago), loved it.

Yeah, the 120 is an even ten bucks here- and one day- with a gift card in hand- I let myself pay that- just to see what the big deal was. For the first time EVER- I did not resent buying an expensive beer.(and the beer is always good, I just don't believe that you have to pay a lot to get a lot) It's like a hop-milkshake. If that sounds gross- believe me- it was not. Very prominent hop aroma, and not the overpowering bitterness that can turn me off from a lot of really decent IMP. IPA's. I never spent my Own money again- but it has become a form of currency when making assanign (sp!) bets.
And the 90 min. is my all time fav. "affordable" IPA- (and affordable is subjective- it's a $10 four pack).
With taste like this- it's a good thing I brew most of the beer I drink. Hence my looking for clones or brews with similar characteristics.

I would be interested in a recipe for this beer - possibly in a 2 gal batch. I'd think an OG of around 1.13 would be appropriate, finishing at 1.030. Should be around 13% and take a year at least. Since some could get it locally, might they be interested in an experiment? Taste test for us and post what you think!

I'm guessing you mean From the Vine because that's the only place I can find it. The only time I ever bought it there I paid close to $15 for a 12oz. I did see it in Chicago for 8 bucks though (they also had 12pks of Fat Tire). Not fair!

I'm guessing you mean From the Vine because that's the only place I can find it. The only time I ever bought it there I paid close to $15 for a 12oz. I did see it in Chicago for 8 bucks though (they also had 12pks of Fat Tire). Not fair!

From the Vine it is. I try to stop there when I head up to Delaware.

I have had it in NY and I remember it was much cheaper - around $8. Odd, something in NY is cheaper than OH.

dont even see DFH of any kind in my neck of the woods.
of course, fat tire in 12ers is in every rite aid, and vons amd under 14 bucks always). too bad i hate it....but that 2* below is some tasty stuff!

We get it here pretty regularly for $10 a bottle. Also its served at my local beer bar for $14. Its an amazing beer and one that takes a while to drink. I think its worth every penny considering the level of intoxication you will receive from it along with the "glamor" of drinking such a high profile beer. For those who worry it will be hop overkill, dont. While being very hoppy this beer is amazingly well balanced. Ask SWMBO for a bottle for the holidays' and then crack it open on x-mas night when its nice and chilly and your sitting in front of a big fire.

Step mash. Mash in at 122 then raise to 149. Mash out at 170

Sorry for the noob question, but "raise to 149"? -- how fast? for how long? and "mash out at 170" -- what exactly does "mash out" mean?

Thank you for any advice!

i think the 120minute recipe is the same as the 90minute posted in this thread but with 12pounds of table sugar added

wow... just this morning i saw probably 12 cases of 120 @ the farmers market for i think 12.99 a pack. sixers of chickory stout for the same price, and 90 min, IBA, and Raison D'Etre for 8.99 a sixer.

we got some Raison to give a shot... next time we'll do the chickory i think.

as per pricey beers... i guess $15 for a 4 pack of North Coast Old Style Ale, or $12 bucks for a bottle of DFH black and blue is the most i've ever spent... every time, well worth it.

Brewing the BYO 90 min IPA clone right now!

I have brewed the 60 min clone a couple times, and haven't been dissapointed.

Unfortunately, the 90 and 120 are not available in Ontario, so I will have nothing to compare this brew to (although with all that hop goodness, it's got to be good!)

Cheers all,

Rhino

The DFH 120 runs about $10/ 12oz bottle around here. I have a friend that is stockpiling them since he loves it and it's a little hard to find. He usually buys all but one anytime he sees them in a store. One of the bars nearby will get a keg of it in every now and then. They sell pints for $16, and usually sell out within 24 hrs of tapping the keg. It's tasty, and really different, but just a little too sweet for my taste.

why is the 120 so sweet if they mash at 149F AND add 40% table sugar? is it because a lot of sugar gets leftover and unfermented?

Dogfish Head 90

16.5# Pilsner malt
1.66# Amber malt
16 AAU Amarillo (continuous 90-0 Minutes)
8 AAU Simcoe (continuous 90-0 Minutes)
8 AAU Warrior (continuous 90-0 Minutes)
1 oz Amarillo (Dry Hop)
.5 oz Simcoe (Dry Hop)
.5 oz Warrior (Dry Hop
Wyeast 1099 (Whitbread)

OG 1.088
FG 1.021
IBU - 90
SRM-13

Step mash. Mash in at 122 then raise to 149. Mash out at 170. Boil 105 minutes, start adding hops at 90 minutes, about .25 oz every 7.5 minutes.

Source, BYO Clone Recipe

Now, I've not brewed this, but I'll say that their Two-Hearted clone from the same issue was outstanding.

I'm brewing this recipe this afternoon. My LHBS does not carry Wyeast so they substituted WLP005 - British Ale. I made a starter lastnight and things have already begun to take shape in the starter.

Does anyone have strong thoughts, either way, about this yeast for this recipe?

My LHBS is closed on Sunday and Monday so I need to run by today if need to get a different strain.

Thx

Latest posts

Back