Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA vs Lagunitas IPA vs Sculpin IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyworld

Reaction score
I'm not asking which one is better, that's a matter of opinion. Here's my situation.

I bought everything to brew Yooper's DFH 60 min clone and then realized I've never even tasted it! :drunk: (idiot) I'm typically more of a maltier beer kinda guy but lately have been turned more towards IPAs. I just tried Lagunitas IPA as well as Ballast Point's Sculpin IPA and really enjoyed them both (Sculpin probably moreso). However I really don't want to brew/drink a cloyingly bitter IPA.

Can anyone offer their experiences/opinions between DFH and the other two. Is it more bitter? Anyone ever play around with the bittering additions in the DFH clone? I understand I may be overthinking it a bit but all opinions/suggestions are appreciated.

I can't remember Lagunitas or Ballast Points as it has been quite a while since I've had them... But I LOVE DFH 60. I am a bit of a hophead, but I don't think you should be afraid to brew that kit as is. The 60 minute IPA is rather tame. I wouldn't worry about it being "cloying".. You'll likely love it.

EDIT: Sorry, just realized it wasn't a kit. However, I still think you should go ahead and brew the recipe as-is. :)

DFH 60 has more of a piney taste. Sculpin is definitely the most citrus of the three. I've been drinking a few all-Centennial IPAs lately (Two-Hearted, Founders) and Sculpin was a welcome citrus change.

I think Sculpin is the best of the three. I just had a Lagunitas IPA last night, but I'm battling a cold so my review would be worthless.

I did mention that this wasn't a thread about which one is better didn't I? Oh well.

Nonetheless, good point terrapinj. How bitter can it be. It's not their 90 or 120 so it can't really be that bad (horribly bitter).

I"m brewing it roughly how it is. Except Yooper calls for 1.25 oz of warrior but I'm cutting back to 1.0 for ease of ordering. This shouldn't really be an issue since everything else was .8 - 2.0 AAU higher than listed in the recipe.

In total it will be 1.0 oz or warrior at 60. I added roughly half at 60 and then a few additions until i reached 30 mins. At 30 I started the Simcoe and Amarillo additions hopping more heavily towards knockout. I'll likely add another entire oz of both Amarillo and Simcoe for the dry hop. I'll let you all know how it comes out within a month or so. This will be the first beer I keg.

Back