American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to bottle this today, but when I moved my carboy, there was a lot of yeast stuck to the sides, which all dislodged and went back into the beer. I'll let it settle for a couple more days.

I did sample it, and took the FG.
I had a OG of 1.075, and the FG is 1.014. So 7.98% - wow.

i'm doing this tomorrow, with a some variation, but the numbers are fairly close to the actual beer. it's about 10 ibu's more and 1/2% stronger.

using whole leaf hops except for the warrior, which are pellets.

Type: Extract
Date: 5/17/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: jason c
Boil Size: 2.50 gal Asst Brewer: wyatt h
Boil Time: 75 min Equipment: Brew Pot (4 Gallon)

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 59.52 % (at 75 minutes)
3.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 35.71 % (at flameout)
0.40 lb British Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 % (steeping grains)
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.90 %] (Dry Hop 12 days)
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [9.30 %] (Dry Hop 12 days)
0.25 oz Simcoe [12.90 %] (60 min) Hops 4.9 IBU
0.25 oz Warrior [16.10 %] (60 min) Hops 6.1 IBU
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [9.30 %] (60 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
0.25 oz Simcoe [12.90 %] (45 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
0.25 oz Warrior [16.10 %] (45 min) Hops 5.6 IBU
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [9.30 %] (45 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [9.30 %] (30 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.25 oz Simcoe [12.90 %] (30 min) Hops 3.8 IBU
0.25 oz Warrior [16.10 %] (30 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
0.25 oz Warrior [16.10 %] (15 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [9.30 %] (15 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
0.25 oz Simcoe [12.90 %] (15 min) Hops 2.4 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [9.30 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)
1 Pkgs Ringwood Ale (Wyeast Labs #1187) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.070 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.020 SG Measured Final Gravity: ?????
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: ?????
Bitterness: 72.2 IBU
Est Color: 9.4 SRM

brewed this today. added 5 lbs of the DME in at boil and then added 1/4 of each of the hops at 60, 45, 30 % 15 minutes. added 1 tsp irish moss at 15 minutes. added 3 lbs DME at flameout.

OG 1.071

is one package of yeast enough??? (too late, because it's all i had, but i'm hoping i'm cool.)

If you had an 11 gram package of dry yeast, that'd be barely enough. But if it's a liquid yeast, it's pretty seriously underpitched. It still should be fine, but might have some off-flavors because of stressed yeast.

If you had an 11 gram package of dry yeast, that'd be barely enough. But if it's a liquid yeast, it's pretty seriously underpitched. It still should be fine, but might have some off-flavors because of stressed yeast.

wyeast 1187 ringwood ale (liquid)

doesn't sound too good huh......

anything i can do at this point???

i do have a package of nottingham dry yeast.

wyeast 1187 ringwood ale (liquid)

doesn't sound too good huh......

anything i can do at this point???

Not really. Just wait it out. Ringwood ale yeast is also notoriously "lazy" from what BobNQ(I can't remember his user name- damn old memory!) posted in the past. Once it gets going, swirl the fermenter a bit, because I think it flocculates early. It also produces quite a bit of diacetyl, so make sure you keep it in the primary fermenter for at least 10 days or longer to reduce the diacetyl. It is noted for producing fruity esters, so keep the fermentation temperature under control, as well. I'd say keep it about 66 degrees for at least 10 days, and then taste for diacetyl. If it tastes buttery, or "slick" or oily, keep it there another 10 days or so. Taste again- to make sure the diacetyl is gonoe.

Not really. Just wait it out. Ringwood ale yeast is also notoriously "lazy" from what BobNQ(I can't remember his user name- damn old memory!) posted in the past. Once it gets going, swirl the fermenter a bit, because I think it flocculates early. It also produces quite a bit of diacetyl, so make sure you keep it in the primary fermenter for at least 10 days or longer to reduce the diacetyl. It is noted for producing fruity esters, so keep the fermentation temperature under control, as well. I'd say keep it about 66 degrees for at least 10 days, and then taste for diacetyl. If it tastes buttery, or "slick" or oily, keep it there another 10 days or so. Taste again- to make sure the diacetyl is gonoe.

thanks for that info. i'll make sure i do that. i had planned to let it run out ten days in primary at least, now maybe a bit longer. i've got temp. control, so i'm covered there. i'll just cross my fingers and hope it tastes ok.

I have a question for anyone that's brewed this. I brewed up my second batch of this back in Sept, at the same time my bro-in-law brewed up his first attempt at it. All three batches (the original I brewed a year and a half ago) came out very grapefruity. In aroma and flavor. The one I brewed in Sept has mellowed somewhat, but it's still a very strong citrus profile. Does anyone else get this? Personally I don't find DFH to be citrusy, so I'm wondering if there's something we might have done wrong, or if this is just what the recipe is after. Thanks!

just an update on this.....

i gently rocked the carboy back and forth and side to side just one time, not creating any bubbles, but jostling the beer a bit last night and once again this morning. krausen has begun to form and there is obvious yeast activitiy, bubbles in the airlock, etc... i won't be touching this beer again for about ten days.

i noticed about an eight inch of what appears to be hop oils (???) on the bottom just above the solids that got transferred over. normal stuff?

i made this recipe for my first all grain batch yesterday and everything went fairly well except when i finished and was going over the recipe again i realized that i switched the warrior and amarillo hops when adding them to the boil. do you thing this will give me an overly bitter beer? do you think i should still dry hop and if so change anything?

The warrior hops are added at 60 b/c they are the bittering hops with high AA values. If you added the amarillo at 60 instead of the warrior you will lose a good amount of IBU's I would assume. Overall im sure the beer will still be good.

I brewed up the extract variant of this a while back, and it's outstanding. Excellent recipe, and it's gotten rave reviews from all my friends!

I made this yesterday, second AG to date. I used cascade instead of amarillo though. The yeast I used was washed yeast I used from an ale I did in march and used Safale US05. I made a starter on Wed. and didn't decant just pitched the whole thing in, 2 quart wort + qt of wort/yeast from my jar. It was active within 4 hours and now, 24 hrs, going steady. Just was wondering if this will be enough yeast for the higher ABV.
Also, dry hopping schedule? Is it the last 3 days in the primary 1 oz and last 3 in the secondary .5 oz simcoe. Or all in the keg in a bag?

One more thing, my pre boil gravity was 1.04 vs 1.067. what could cause this? I ended up with 1.060 vs 1.073 for OG (Cascade instead of amarillo?)

I made this yesterday, second AG to date. I used cascade instead of amarillo though. The yeast I used was washed yeast I used from an ale I did in march and used Safale US05. I made a starter on Wed. and didn't decant just pitched the whole thing in, 2 quart wort + qt of wort/yeast from my jar. It was active within 4 hours and now, 24 hrs, going steady. Just was wondering if this will be enough yeast for the higher ABV.
Also, dry hopping schedule? Is it the last 3 days in the primary 1 oz and last 3 in the secondary .5 oz simcoe. Or all in the keg in a bag?

One more thing, my pre boil gravity was 1.04 vs 1.067. what could cause this? I ended up with 1.060 vs 1.073 for OG (Cascade instead of amarillo?)

If you used a starter, you have enough yeast for the OG. It'll be fine. If you're at 1.060, it just means that your efficiency was less than my system gets. It'll be ok- maybe just a bit hoppier than my version and probably even better!

As far as dryhopping, I almost always add the dryhops in secondary, but you can either do it at the very end of primary or in the secondary. I add all the hops at the same time, then rack to the keg when I'm done.

Thanks for the quick reply btw. What was your fermentation schedule? The bsm shows a tertiary.

Following the brew sheet from Beersmith was very helpful as I was kinda having a hard time figuring water volumes to mash and sprage. It all made sense after I sat and added it all up plus reading The Home brewing guide. It's all coming together for my AG gig.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the quick reply btw. What was your fermentation schedule? The bsm shows a tertiary.

Following the brew sheet from Beersmith was very helpful as I was kinda having a hard time figuring water volumes to mash and sprage. It all made sense after I sat and added it all up plus reading The Home brewing guide. It's all coming together for my AG gig.

Thanks again.

I make this often, but don't always do it exactly the same way! I think the tertiary is when I racked off of the hops, but didn't think the beer was ready to bottle, so it sat until I felt it was ready. It's a pretty "big" beer, and good fresh, but it's better with a little bit of age on it. The hops aroma is still fresh and the flavor is full, but once it's aged a little, it doesn't have some a bite.

Now when I make it, I usually primary for a couple of weeks, then add the dryhops to the primary, and then keg it from there. I've gotten lazy in my old age!

Damn your quick, I've already stopped racking to secondaries and I've only been doing this since feb. So, this is good new for me (me=lazy). My last 3 batches have been Primary only.

Thanks again.

I just tasted my first 60 minute IPA, aged 6 weeks in the bottle.

Totally incredible.

This is nectar of the Gods.

:rockin:

Just kegged this yesterday. The sample smelled and tasted awesome. 6.27% ABV. One of the lightest colors I've brewed to date. Can't wait to tap this. I have one and a half kegs before this so, I may be able to hold off drinking early for once.

I am so sad. I only have a 6 pack of this left. :( Need to brew more.

I made 5 gallons today. I didn't have any amber malt, so I had to sub. I used aromatic malt. Afterwards, I re-thought it and thought I should have used special roast or something with some sweetness. Oh, well, it's only 6 ounces, so it really shouldn't matter that much. I used harvested S05, and it's plugging away already at 63 degrees. This is probably my favorite beer.

I substituted biscuit malt for the amber malt since i had no amber malt.

I also hopped all the hops equally over the whole 60 minutes, not just warrior in the first 25 minutes.

Tastes almost like straight rye whiskey, but lower in alcohol.

I made 5 gallons today. I didn't have any amber malt, so I had to sub. I used aromatic malt. Afterwards, I re-thought it and thought I should have used special roast or something with some sweetness. Oh, well, it's only 6 ounces, so it really shouldn't matter that much. I used harvested S05, and it's plugging away already at 63 degrees. This is probably my favorite beer.

Now you are making me jealous! I only made 5 gallons as this was my first time with a big, hoppy beer. Next time, it is going to be 10 gallons, but I might have to dry hop right in the primary as I don't have two spare carboys. And I don't have time to brew before I go on vacation, so it's going to be a month or so till I get this going again.

Each bottle I have had of this has made me go "hmmmm - I made this!" I still cannot believe how good it tastes! It isn't quite like the original - mine did not come out quite so earthy - would dry hopping longer/shorter with more hops/less hops help this? But it is an absolutely wonderful beer. Thanks for the recipe.

Finally got to try mine last night. It was my first all grain, and it was by far, the best beer I've made to date! Need to start getting ready for another batch, as 2.5 gallons isn't going to last long (I split it with my friend).

Now you are making me jealous! I only made 5 gallons as this was my first time with a big, hoppy beer. Next time, it is going to be 10 gallons, but I might have to dry hop right in the primary as I don't have two spare carboys. And I don't have time to brew before I go on vacation, so it's going to be a month or so till I get this going again.

Each bottle I have had of this has made me go "hmmmm - I made this!" I still cannot believe how good it tastes! It isn't quite like the original - mine did not come out quite so earthy - would dry hopping longer/shorter with more hops/less hops help this? But it is an absolutely wonderful beer. Thanks for the recipe.

I don't know how to get it closer to the original. I've seen some clone recipes with palisades hops. I've never used palisades- could the flavor you're describing as earthy come from them? I don't know, but that might be why the other recipes include those hops.

I dry hopped for about 2 weeks, so I was wondering out loud if I had done it for too long.

But maybe I'll try to add some palisade, if I can find them. I found one recipe that is basically identical to yours, except it has palisade in place of the amarillo in the boil, and added glacier in the dry hopping.

Although the beer I made was so good, I'm not sure I need to change anything!

i'm getting ready to brew the extract version of this recipe and i'm wondering if the hop addition times are going to be compromised by not adding hops continuously. looking forward to getting this going as i'm a first timer.

edit:already begun. i decided what made the most sense is to just keep the schedule and let the hop sacks sit in the kettle until the wort is ready for the fermentor.

My version of this came out extremely light, almost BMC in color. Taste was great, but color was off. Any ideas what I did wrong. Used 13 lbs of Briess Brewer's 2-row and 6 ounces of Breiss Amber. Yeast used was Wyeast 1065.

Thanks,
Eric

I'm definitely making this when I get home, in fact - it might be the first one I brew when I get home.

I do have a question about the starter: what's the opinion on not using a starter for this?

Not using it?

What would be the biggest difference in taste and what not?

i did not use one, but probably should have. i don't know enough about brewing to tell you what having more yeast would have done.

(you posted a couple days ago in my "recipe" thread after i posted about it getting 1st in ipa and 3rd in best of show.)

besides the fact that it did well in the competition, i love the way it turned out and doubt i'd do much (if anything) different next time i brew it.

i am interested to know what effect making a starter would have had on the beer.

Two weeks in the bottle (i let this sucker ferment for months before dry-hopping) and it's carbed up nicely. When I compared it last night to the real 60 min... well, yep, i liked mine a lot better and now that it's carbed properly it really has a nice bite to it.

The 60-min is maltier and a little sweeter but mine has much better hop aroma and i think it's still balanced nicely.

This is BY FAR my best beer (5th batch i think) and i may have to brew this again very, very soon

Okay, I have traversed through all 30 something pages and I feel well equipped to brew this beer. However, I just have one question;

Are you guys all doing 60 min. boils? I have been AG brewing for about 4 years and I have always done 90 min. boils. Or are you doing 90 min. boils but you just start the hop schedule at 60 min.?

Thanks,

Eastside

Simple question guys, are we all pooped out on this thread? Should I be looking elsewhere? Maybe you are all just drinking the fruits of your labor and can't crawl to the computer..........

Eastside

Okay, I have traversed through all 30 something pages and I feel well equipped to brew this beer. However, I just have one question;

Are you guys all doing 60 min. boils? I have been AG brewing for about 4 years and I have always done 90 min. boils. Or are you doing 90 min. boils but you just start the hop schedule at 60 min.?

Thanks,

Eastside

I always do a 60 minute boil. I don't have any reason to boil for 90 minutes but if you need to in order to reach your volume, then you certainly can. Don't start hopping until 60 minutes, though!

Back