Dogfish Head 120 Min IPA Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smuth10

Reaction score
I just finished brewing the DFH 120 Min IPA Clone recipe from homebrewchef.com and was wondering if anyone out there has tried this recipe yet. I listened to the "can you brew it" MP3 and decided to do 10 hop additions during the boil instead of the 40 in the original recipe. I think I may also cut back on the sugar some as they said the biggest difference between the clone and the original was sweetness. OG turned out to be 1.100, before the sugar of course.

If you've brewed this can you post any problems you ran into? How did you do your sugar additions? Did you use an air stone? Did you carb it? If so, how?
And most importantly, how did it turn out? How close was it to the original? Thanks!

Due to the how big of a commitment this beer is, I don't think too many people have tried to brew it. I am extremely curious how your batch turns out though.

As far as the actual brewing went it wasn't too bad. It took me about 8 hrs to brew, but most of the work is in the fermentation stage. I will keep this thread updated as to how everything goes.

My HLT & MT are both 10 gal Igloo coolers. I just scaled the recipe down to 6 gallons in Beersmith to accommodate my setup.

subscribed.

A buddy of mine is splitting the bill on a small batch of this, brew day is the 26th... I'm nervous.

It is going pretty well so far, other than the fact that I am a prisoner to my beer for the next 4 weeks. :D

I created a 2Q starter (with the super high gravity yeast) from the fermenting wort on the morning of day 3 and let it go for 2 days. On day 5 I mixed in the first batch of dextrose with the SHG starter and stirred it really well to aerate it as I do not have a SS stone. I pitched in the first bag of dry hops & a 1\2 tsp of yeast nutrient as well and dumped it into the primary. I have been keeping two pitchers by the primary. One filled with star-san and a whisk, and an empty one. I dump the star-san into the empty pitcher, fill the sterilized pitcher with 2Q of wort from the spigot on the bottom of my primary bucket, and then mix in the sugar and hops. It seems to be going really well. You can definitely see a difference in the airlock activity after I dump in the sugar.

I know I don't want to introduce too much oxygen into the wort, but I am wondering if I should be gently stirring the wort after I dump in the sugar additions. Seems to be going well without it, but I just don't want this thing to crap out on me. After day 11 or 12 I am going to be really careful with the sugar additions as I do not want it to be too sweet. The guy on the Can You Brew It podcast said he stopped adding sugar after day 13 and it was still too sweet. I guess you just don't know how long it will go until it dies out.

I will keep this updated as things progress...

Think I might try this. I'm going to alter the recipe, make it my own, but it sounds great.

I have a packet of US-05 and S-33 sitting in my fridge, so that would probably work well.

Also, I think I'll just try a single infusion mash.

Might change up the hopping schedule as well to fit with the hops I have in my possession. Might be nothing like 120 Min, but it'll be good hopefully.

If you want a really strong IPA I think you'd be better off fermenting it out to ~12% and then freeze concentrating the beer. That way you avoid the pains of dealing with all the sugar adding, oxidation, residual sweetness etc... I did it last winter to part of an 8% borderline DIPA/IPA to turn it into a ~14% massive DIPA and it was actually pretty good (and I really don't care for 120 Minute).

If you want a really strong IPA I think you'd be better off fermenting it out to ~12% and then freeze concentrating the beer. That way you avoid the pains of dealing with all the sugar adding, oxidation, residual sweetness etc... I did it last winter to part of an 8% borderline DIPA/IPA to turn it into a ~14% massive DIPA and it was actually pretty good (and I really don't care for 120 Minute).

That's an interesting idea, could call it an EisPA.

What method did you employ and/or how did you prevent oxidation when freeze concentrating?

What method did you employ and/or how did you prevent oxidation when freeze concentrating?

I did it for a small quantity, froze and then just let it grain through a sieve, carbed with a carb cap, and served (quick and dirty). if you wanted to do it for a whole batch you'd probably want to do it in a keg under CO2. Jamil did a podcast on Eisbock that went through his process.

jbrookeiv - Are you planning on doing the sugar additions with the S-33 yeast? I don't know anything about that yeast, will it ferment out at that high of a gravity?

I have only been brewing beer for a couple of years and have never tried freeze concentrating beer before. I guess for now I just want to stick to the clone recipe I have and see how it turns out. I tend to like sweeter high gravity beers, especially the Belgians, so I am pretty excited to see how this turns out.

I realized tonight as I was taking wort out to add the sugar that it was siphoning water out of my 2 liter through the blow-off tube as I was filling up my pitcher with wort. I really hope I do not have a problem because of this. From now on I have to remember to pull out the tube before I open up the spigot. That and my lid cracked. I guess from opening and closing too much. WTF... I thought these things were pretty much indestructible.

From now on I have to remember to pull out the tube before I open up the spigot. That and my lid cracked. I guess from opening and closing too much. WTF... I thought these things were pretty much indestructible.

Haha.. What a beer! Make your adjustment, throw a new lid on the bucket, and battle it out to the end!!! I can't wait to take a stab at this. I'm rooting for you to hit your ABV. :rockin:

That is pretty much what I did. Here is a pic of what I have left to add to this beer after day 3.

IMG_2068.JPG

Looks like a drug bust from a distance. And to think my wife started all of this. She snuck into my Beersmith program when I wasn't looking, printed out the recipe, went down to Adventures in HB and bought everything for me for xmas. She either really loves me or would just rather have me down in the basement.:D

It is still goin strong. I added another 1\2 tsp of yeast nutrient in there today because the fermentation seemed to slow down a little. It definitely seems to of helped. The airlock is bubbling every 10 seconds or so.

Anyone have any input as to whether or not I should be stirring this thing or not? I am just worried it may crap out too early.

And to think my wife started all of this. She snuck into my Beersmith program when I wasn't looking, printed out the recipe, went down to Adventures in HB and bought everything for me for xmas. She either really loves me or would just rather have me down in the basement.:D

Sounds like she is a keeper!

Mine, I went with the Cali ale yeast to 12%, then did a "reverse starter" where I built up a starter of KV-1116 and fed a mixture of fresh wort and beer to it for three days, then added the remaining beer (with all the sugar added at that point) over a 5 day period. It finished at 1.020 and tastes very well balanced.

Your method should turn out fine as well. I suggest watching the gravity to make sure you stay below 1.020 at all times. Once you get above that level you have added too much sugar and it may finish too sweet. The nutrient additions sound exactly like the ones I did... in retrospect, the later additions could be done only with yeast hulls / servomyces, but I don't have any on hand so I used fermaid K.

Saccharomyces:

I just checked my beer this morning before adding sugar and it is at 1.026. I am a little confused considering what I read and what is in beersmith. It says it would finish around 1.050, which I thought was way too sweet. In your opinion should I wait until tonight to add sugar in order to keep it under 1.020 at all times?

Did you have any problems with adding all of the sugar at once?

Crazy isn't it. According to Beersmith it is going to be 1068 calories for a 12oz bottle. Not sure how accurate that is considering most of the sugar is fermented out, but still nuts...

I think I may just brew a bunch of 1.050 beers after this.:tank:

Start weighing your options. How much of the sugar have you added already? I would take gravity readings frequently during the end of fermentation. 1.025-1.030 would be a great place for that beer to finish. So once fermentation slows, really consider if adding the extra sugar is worth it. Especially once you get over 15-16% ABV, keep a very close eye on it. That's what I would do.

Tomorrow will be the halfway point, so about 6.5lbs of sugar after tomorrow. I would rather have a lower alcohol content and not be too sweet. I am just wondering if the original is fermented down that low or not. I would like it to be as close as possible to the original.

smuth10 said:
Tomorrow will be the halfway point, so about 6.5lbs of sugar after tomorrow. I would rather have a lower alcohol content and not be too sweet. I am just wondering if the original is fermented down that low or not. I would like it to be as close as possible to the original.

Go Smuth Go! Now is the time to babysit.. If you can manage your gravity around the 25 to 30 range, I think you're improving the taste.. 120 is great but soooooo sweet and syrupy.

I will be feeling your pain soon, called the shop today, the white labs super gravity I had to special order arrives wednesday which is starter day, brew day is saturday... Woohoo? :p

I tested the gravity this morning before adding sugar and it is at 1.040. Higher than I would like. I added another 1\2tsp of yeast nutrient to the sugar addition and gave the beer a swirl to get some of the yeast off of the bottom. Today is day 9 of the sugar additions and I think I am going to slow down now. I would really like it to finish under 1.030 and if I keep adding sugar past day 10 or 11 I think it will be too sweet.

I stopped adding sugar after day 11 because the gravity seemed to continue creeping up a little each day. It is at 1.042 today, but still bubbling every 20-30 seconds. I will be happy if it finishes under 1.030. It smells great when I open the bucket, so I am hopeful it will turn out well. I figured the ABV to be around 17-18%, which is just fine with me. Now, if I could only find some of the real DFH 120 around me to compare mine with. The store I usually buy it at hasn't had it since December of 2009.

It is at 1.036 and still bubbling every 30 seconds or so. Smells awesome...

I just transferred to the secondary and the SG is at 1.028. It smells fantastic and the color looks great. I tasted a small sample and it is pretty sweet up front, then the hops hits you a little, and then the alcohol slams you in the face. I am going to leave it in the secondary for 2 months and then bottle most of it. I may keg a gallon or two just to compare the flavors. Hopefully a couple of months in the secondary will bring it down a few more points and mellow it out a bit.

Though I won't be making this in the NEAR future, I would like to one day.
this section of the recipe confuses me
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
15 min Acid Rest Add 46.20 qt of water at 99.6 F 95.0 F
15 min Protein Rest Decoct 13.04 qt of mash and boil it 122.0 F
15 min Gluten Rest Decoct 8.16 qt of mash and boil it 135.0 F
60 min Beta Sacrification Decoct 10.28 qt of mash and boil it 149.0 F
15 min Mashout Decoct 14.35 qt of mash and boil it 165.0 F

Could someone explain how to go about doing all of this? Like a step by step would be great.

Though I won't be making this in the NEAR future, I would like to one day.
this section of the recipe confuses me
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
15 min Acid Rest Add 46.20 qt of water at 99.6 F 95.0 F
15 min Protein Rest Decoct 13.04 qt of mash and boil it 122.0 F
15 min Gluten Rest Decoct 8.16 qt of mash and boil it 135.0 F
60 min Beta Sacrification Decoct 10.28 qt of mash and boil it 149.0 F
15 min Mashout Decoct 14.35 qt of mash and boil it 165.0 F

Could someone explain how to go about doing all of this? Like a step by step would be great.

You take out part of the mash each time, boil it for 10 minutes, and then add it back to the mash. This brings the temperature of the mash up. That is why you see the different temps next to each step. If you are not familiar with decoction or what each temperature range does to the mash, I would definitely suggest reading John Palmer website. Here is a link:

John Palmer

Gotcha, and finally, I've never had this beer but love the 60min IPA, is it normally carbed?(If not I suppose the 90min clone is the beer for me)

Cool thread, I love this beer so I think I may try it sometime. Its so expensive especially when you get a little ways away from the east coast. It'd be pretty cool to have a couple cases on hand in the basement :D. I think I'd actually look forward to the extra work involved. It'd give me something brewing related to do on those off days between batches.

Back