dog problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eriktlupus

Reaction score
this is spike
7316-PICT0146.JPG

he's a 2 1/2 yr old long haired shepard bout as lovable as they come but with one problem. he has a mental imbalance that causes him to strike out at our son and other pets with no known trigger or warning. wed. nite my wife and son were watching the red wings game with spike on the couch between them when spike attacked pat and bit him on the arm. after swmbo got him off and the boy was in the bathroom spike proceeded to attack our other two dogs and our sociable cat.

this is not the first time he is on meds for it already and i'm broken up by it but i can't have him attacking my boy or having to put him up when he's home. i'm gonna have to put him down before he really gets ahold of someone:(

i love my dogs and it about killeed me when i had to put the last one down but i think this is the best scenario for all involved(even spike).

That sucks. I don't think you have a choice.

I would be tough as hell to put a dog down.

Is there any chance that he's got a seizure disorder? Have you tried seizure meds? Before putting him down, ask your vet about that...it sounds just like seizure activity to me.

I know it is hard but that dog needs to go down. It's the right thing to do.

Any dog that can't learn that EVERY human out ranks it needs to be put down.

I had the same issue with our Shepherd. Tacker would go after our other dog for no reason. After about $1200 in vet bills in one month, 2 major surgeries to put the Blue healer back together and stitch the 8 inch long gashes in her hide, we decided the shepherd had to be put down.

Our concern was that Tacker would go after my Son rather than the other dogs. Pretty difficult decision to make, but once I put it into perspective the answer was obvious. I can get another dog, but my son cannot be replaced.

It was one of the saddest things I have had to have done, but in the end it was definately for the best.

You've already waited too long, IMHO. I love my dogs too, but I think we all agree that human welfare, especially children, is the paramount concern. One unprovoked attack on a human should be the last one. Sorry for your loss.

Offer full disclosure of the problem to a no kill shelter.
Many have experience in taking in such dogs. They would have more informed opinions than any of us.

olllllo said:
Many have experience in taking in such dogs. They would have more informed opinions than any of us.

I have to totally agree with this. It saddened me to see that this was not concidered an option. It's clear that the situation he is in right now is not the right one for him, but give him a chance to live out his life in a situation that may be better suited.

olllllo said:

+100,000,000

Sorry to hear it though man :(

Any dog that can't learn that EVERY human out ranks it needs to be put down.

Wrong wrong wrong

Only one alpha is needed. The dog will not attack another especially human if there is a strong alpha.
Or in this case a mental issue where it is noted and on medicine. Im curious at to what though.

The No-kill shelter is the way to go. A family with no kids and no other dogs would be ideal

olllllo said:

That is my only suggestion, beyond putting him down. We have a no-kill shelter in our town (well, some animals that are very sick, etc, are euthanized) that works hard to place animals if possible. Maybe a single adult with no other pets could work with him.

But as an animal and family person, I definitely agree that the dog must go, and go very quickly. The next time could be disfiguring or deadly, and that can't be.

It's so hard to lose a pet- especially because he's so good otherwise.

I love my dog, but I love my sons more.

I'm sorry, but if that were my dog it'd be going down, humanely and painlessly, but down just the same.

Just curious, what meds do you have him on? It has been recently documented that many tranquilizers that we commonly use in people and pets, notably diazapam (Valium) work as disinhibiters in our pets. That being said, a dog that would never bite because he knows better would suddenly start bitting because he no longer feels that it is wrong to do.

The problem to me sounds either behavioral (most likely) or neurological. It does not sound like seizure activity to me, but sudden aggressiveness can be a sign for other neurological problems.

If it's an unpredicatable behavior......

That doesn't seem like a training thing. As it seems you know, it really sounds like the dog's got a medical problem. I don't think I could ever trust him, regardless of meds, and I don't think I could in good conscious give him to another person (even a single person), just because.... you don't know. Of course, I'm not an expert in this.

No-kill shelter if they'll take him (and don't withhold any information about what's happened), if not... I think you know.

Bob Loblaw said:
new dog without imbalance (like an aussie shepard or something)= 200$

I have seen PLENTY of aussies with imbalances, in fact, I think I have seen some sort of "imbalance" in just about every breed of dog. [/rant]

My suggestion, if you were to get a new dog (not that you are thinking about that right now) but adopt, adopt, adopt. there are plenty of great dogs out there looking for homes that you do not need to support the puppy mill industry.

If you are looking for a pure breed dog, do LOTS of research and find a reputable breeder. Just because someone says they are "registered" it doesn't mean doo. There are associations out there that would send you "registration" papers on every stray in a shelter as long as you were witty enough to come up with some breed name for them....

Sorry you are going through this. I love my dogs so I can only imagine what it's like to lose one.

I don't pretend to know even 10% as much as deathweed (he is our resident vet, after all) ........ but are there different medications you can use to control this? It's obvious the one he's on isn't working (or needs to be adjusted).

There's no guarantee that his attacks are strictly limited to children or other dogs, right? So far that's been the case, but what happens if he gets into a new home, something triggers him, and he attacks someone else? Just because a home has no children or other dogs doesn't mean they won't have the UPS guy come to the door, or entertain visitors, etc.

While I think that dogs should be given every possible chance, sometimes we have to admit defeat and realize that some dogs are broken, through no fault of theirs or ours. It's sad, yes, but sometimes these things are just out of our control ....

MikeFlynn74 said:
Wrong wrong wrong

Only one alpha is needed. The dog will not attack another especially human if there is a strong alpha.
Or in this case a mental issue where it is noted and on medicine. Im curious at to what though.

The No-kill shelter is the way to go. A family with no kids and no other dogs would be ideal

even in the wild there is a hierarchy , the alpha will be dominant to all, but there will be a pecking order for the underlings.

I had a dog (Ridgeback/pit) that would cower to just my voice but stand up to my wife and grown kids with a growl / teeth showing - He went after my middle boy one night . Didnt pierce skin but ripped up his shirt sleave and pants... He didnt come home from the vet the next day. This dog was never abused had him since a pup.

This dog was mentally imbalanced as he would act out without any provocation.

Was hard to do but it had to be done.

even in the wild there is a hierarchy , the alpha will be dominant to all, but there will be a pecking order for the underlings.

Cowering is wrong. Dogs should not feel like he is always under attack or have to attack others.

We could debate this all night. Dogs have been mans companion for thousands of years and have a unique bond with humans. There are thousands or right and wrong ways.

MikeFlynn74 said:
Wrong wrong wrong

Semantics. If the dog doesn't understand that they do not have sufficent rank in the pack to correct a human then they are a danger to humans any time that alpha is not physically present. Needs to feel a part of the pack but not in any way higher ranked than others.

MikeFlynn74 said:

Good option that I should have thought of but get it fixed first (or demand fixing as part of the deal). No way a dog with that kind of imbalance should be given any opportunity to breed.

Wait this dog isnt fixed?

95%+ of all dog bites are unfixed dogs

I would wager getting him fixed might solve the problem.

I don't think the OP mentioned that the dog isn't fixed. In any case, shelters will either get the dog fixed before adoption or make it a condition of adoption.

MikeFlynn74 said:
Wait this dog isnt fixed?

For the record-- i didt' get any indication either way on whether he's fixed but thought it a valid concern to bring up.

What I didn't know is that the dog bite stats were so heavily skewed to the unfixed, especially since it is my understanding that most pets are gettign fixed these days (tho I don't have a real source for that information--- just a vet tech making the claim)

MikeFlynn74 said:
Cowering is wrong. Dogs should not feel like he is always under attack or have to attack others.

We could debate this all night. Dogs have been mans companion for thousands of years and have a unique bond with humans. There are thousands or right and wrong ways.

he would only cower when I would repremand him with a stern voice. Not when I talked to him

I'm a dog lover myself too, and it's never going to be easy to put one down. At the risk of sounding like a fruit loop, maybe try contacting Cesar Millan the Dog Whisperer?

I'm not sure he could fix this, but in watching his show, the results seems to be amazing. Sounds like a story that they may be interested in.

Just a latch ditch effort really, I'm just throwing it out there.

For the record-- i didt' get any indication either way on whether he's fixed but thought it a valid concern to bring up.

What I didn't know is that the dog bite stats were so heavily skewed to the unfixed, especially since it is my understanding that most pets are gettign fixed these days (tho I don't have a real source for that information--- just a vet tech making the claim

Its a very proven fact- Get him fixed and give him a few months

Interesting.
My Girlfriend has a similar issue with her little Jack Russell. The thing has seizures and will bite without warning. It's on heavy barbiturates or drugs but that isn't working either.

Anyway, if the dog is biting people, it has to go. I personally don't care if it's a shelter or getting put down. I saw my friends dog bite two children in 1 summer. How it made it beyond the first bite is beyond me. Lucky those kids were their friends and lucky they weren't seriously bitten.

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Hey Erik sorry to hear about it, We had the same problem with a Shep we had when I was a kid. The vet diagnosed him with "Rage". We did not have the heart to put him down so we took him to a place here in Lansing called Sher Kar kennels. She takes aggresive dogs and re-trains them for Security work or police work if there hips are ok. If you want to give her a call and see what she thinks I can give you the number tomorrow at the Darkhorse or if you need it sooner I can pm it to you.

I understand that there are some avenues to try new things out, but I wouldn't be willing to TRY things with my other pets and children. If it doesn't work, then you have to worry about the possibility of the dog actually damaging your son, and if it does work, will you ever really trust the dog completely knowing that it has a history of doing that? I think RICLARK's idea is a good one. I hope everything works out for you and him.

Laurel said:
I understand that there are some avenues to try new things out, but I wouldn't be willing to TRY things with my other pets and children. If it doesn't work, then you have to worry about the possibility of the dog actually damaging your son, and if it does work, will you ever really trust the dog completely knowing that it has a history of doing that? I think RICLARK's idea is a good one. I hope everything works out for you and him.

+10000. It's one thing to talk about this in THEORY....

budbo said:
Matter of Opinion

Sorry to hear about it. I'm sure there is a rescue somewhere that will take him even with his condition

I hope you forgot the :D after your 'Matter of opinion statement. If you really think that dog>kids you have a mighty skewed view on the world. And this coming from some who cried like a baby when I put down my dog this year. There is no comparison between a dog and a person, 'specially a small child.

olllllo said:
Stay on topic please.

Sorry olllllo, I actually left the thread and passed on but I had to come back to say something. His statement was boarderline trolling in my opinion and I wanted to give him a chance to clarify his statement.

MikeFlynn74 said:
Wrong wrong wrong

its an animla and you cant control it just like you cant control a human, a strong alpha is not gonna do a thing

Back