DOG LOVERS: I have a year to teach my dog to fetch a beer from the fridge!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why on earth would you teach your dog how to get in the fridge? That's like teaching your kids how stand on a chair to open the cookie jar?

If you read the thread it is pretty clear why he is teaching his dog to do this. Also I don't get why people are so worked up about teaching a dog to get into a fridge. If you can teach them to get into the fridge and specifically grab the beer, why is it hard to believe they won't grab anything else? Haven't you ever seen a well behaved dog sit 5' away from a juicy steak and not get it until the owner says it is okay. Dogs are amazing things!

If you read the thread it is pretty clear why he is teaching his dog to do this. Also I don't get why people are so worked up about teaching a dog to get into a fridge. If you can teach them to get into the fridge and specifically grab the beer, why is it hard to believe they won't grab anything else? Haven't you ever seen a well behaved dog sit 5' away from a juicy steak and not get it until the owner says it is okay. Dogs are amazing things!

Ok Mr. Literal. I was merely raising a point that most people don't want dogs in their fridge. I get it, I think it's a neat trick, but relax for a second, it's a valid concern for anyone.

And yes I have seen a well behaved dog. The problem lies when the dog is not being seen. I'd admit, some dogs can be trusted with a steak, but only when the owner is near by.

Now put that same dog 5 ft away from the steak and the owner watching tv in the other room, and see how long that steaks last. Now I'm assuming the owner isnt going to watch the dog go into the fridge, as that defeats the purpose.

Ok Mr. Literal. I was merely raising a point that most people don't want dogs in their fridge. I get it, I think it's a neat trick, but relax for a second, it's a valid concern for anyone.

And yes I have seen a well behaved dog. The problem lies when the dog is not being seen. I'd admit, some dogs can be trusted with a steak, but only when the owner is near by.

Now put that same dog 5 ft away from the steak and the owner watching tv in the other room, and see how long that steaks last. Now I'm assuming the owner isnt going to watch the dog go into the fridge, as that defeats the purpose.

Solid point. Just speaking from experience, I had a lab at my parents place that I would trust with my life, literally. He was an amazing dog. I think he could have been trained to do this, and I don't think it would have been a problem with him going in the fridge. It's like a dog being trained to not go upstairs. Unless you give a verbal command they aren't going to think to do it. I wish I could teach my Shiba Inu I have now to do it, but she is a much more independent dog. She I would never trust with the key to my fridge.

How do you keep the dog from getting into the fridge when no one is around? Simple, remove the towel from the door handle.

My dog, I can set a steak on the coffee table and leave for as long as I want and there'll be a puddle of drool on the floor next to it, but the steak will still be there. I know it because I've done it! But I can't say that for most dogs. I can even drop a piece of food on the floor in front of him and if he doesn't think I did it on purpose, he'll wait to be told he can have it. He's a strange dog, but it's nice sometimes.

Well I posted this in another thread on the same subject, it had a link to this thread so I'll share here.

I have a boxer, way too freaking intelligent & independent. I started teaching her this trick only to have her learn to open the freaking fridge on the second try. At which point my wife & I looked at one another and said, 'this is a bad idea'. At that time we had a toddler so we had a child-proof latch on the fridge. But without the latch it would only be a matter of time before the dog decided to go 'fridge diving' while we were out of the house! I should also mention I already had her fairly well trained to pick up a bottle so connecting the dots wouldn't have taken much time at all.

I say it's a bad idea unless you want to live with a child-proof latch on your fridge door till said dog dies. At least it would be with my hunk of boxer love! She already opens the pantry door to grab a snack of bread when it's not closed securely. Yes she opens doors with her paws on the knob if they're not totally shut/latched or use her mouth if something is hanging on the knob. Even figured out how to unlock doors by turning the knob. In my instance I have little doubt that my dog would take to pawing open the door even if you removed the towel from the handle when she decided it was snack time and no one was around.

Something to note on the wikipedia intelligence rankings it clearly states where some of the weaknesses are in the process. It's basically a measurement of trainability, not thinking or problem solving, ie hunting dogs, tracking, etc. I'm sure there are boxers that are slightly less useful or intelligent than a rock, but in general I've heard most people including some dog trainers say they're a fairly intelligent breed. Training however can be a challenge at times due to independence and/or stubbornness. They were the original police dogs in Germany because of their giftedness at discerning friend from foe. However they've changed quite a bit as a breed since the turn of the last century. Mostly I think trainability depends on the individual dog.

Good luck, should be doable with patience and repetition no matter the dog in question.

Schlante,
Phillip

I think A "well trained dog" could handle not tearing into a refrigerator anytime it pleased. The problem is about 98% of dogs aren't that well trained. I've already stated here that I could teach my lab (like the one in the video) to fetch a beer this afternoon probably... he's well trained. My sister has a equally smart (and very expensive) lab that they can't keep off the counters. That dog is in EVERYTHING... he's not well trained.

I think I would only do this with a beer only fridge. I also think once you train the dog to open the fridge it is going to sometime and help itself to the lovely smells it encountered the last time it went to get you a beer.

A friend of mine had a German Sheppard that taught itself to open the fridge and then taught itself to eat all of the Thanksgiving dinner contents stored inside.

I think you are playing with fire if you are teaching your dog to get into the only fridge you have, again I vote beer only fridge to be safe and keep your pooch out of future trouble.

But I hope you win the bet.

Guys, I am really sorry for not updating this thread more often. Let me address some questions and update you on my progress.

Long story short--the bet is still on. I took some time off of this to have a summer and build a kegerator. Since I have about 8 weeks before to onset of snowboarding season...Ikey is going to have to learn quickly!

First, some answers:
-Ikey's a smart boy, he knows he's not allowed in the fridge without being issues the proper command: CERVEZA (cool, huh?)

-When we leave the house, my dogs go to the bedroom so they are never unsupervised around the fridge.

-The fridge has NO handles, none. No way he could get into the fridge unless it's been 'set up' first. The setup involves looping a leather belt over the top of the door and latching to the inside. When the CERVEZA command is issued, he pulls the belt and we're fetching

So now, Ikey will fetch a brown plastic beer bottle with the command 'bring me cerveza' and he will open the fridge door and fetch a treat when given the 'CERVEZA' command.

I think we're close, but next steps are to tie the two together. I want him to open the door, bring me the plastic bottle gently...and then we'll gradually work on replacing this with glass bottles, then onto full glass bottles.

Now the update:

Ike was a rescue and we're not sure what his old 'fetch' command was. we tried some things but he's getting confused. He (like most Boxers) is an 'occasional fetcher'. So he seems to like 'bring it' We say 'bring me the tire' or 'bring me the rope' he'll do it.

Right now, I am using brown plastic soda bottle with a beer cozy on it to give him some grip. He's fetching the bottle but his grip is to aggressive. I need to combine this with the 'easy' command so he doesn't mess it up.

It's always best to stick to one or two word commands with dogs and be consistent with them... sit, stay, here, heal, fetch... cerveza.

I could see where he would get confused by using the command cerveza to fetch a bottle and also to open the fridge to get a treat... two different demands.

I'd back up a bit and have him retrieve the bottle using the cerveza command then when he brings it to you give him a treat.

Do it repetitively at longer distances getting closer to the fridge. Then put it in the open fridge... then a slightly opened one he needs to nose open... then let him open it. It's all repetition but DO NOT try to do too much in one training event... maybe 3 to 5 retrieves then quit. You want them wanting more and always end on a good retrieve. Try to make it fun for your dog and use a lot of praise and keep the treats flowing.

It's always best to stick to one or two word commands with dogs and be consistent with them... sit, stay, here, heal, fetch... cerveza.

I could see where he would get confused by using the command cerveza to fetch a bottle and also to open the fridge to get a treat... two different demands.

I'd back up a bit and have him retrieve the bottle using the cerveza command then when he brings it to you give him a treat.

Do it repetitively at longer distances getting closer to the fridge. Then put it in the open fridge... then a slightly opened one he needs to nose open... then let him open it. It's all repetition but DO NOT try to do too much in one training event... maybe 3 to 5 retrieves then quit. You want them wanting more and always end on a good retrieve. Try to make it fun for your dog and use a lot of praise and keep the treats flowing.

Exactly my thinking across the board. I am going to post up some vids with our progess this weekend. The command we settled on is 'Bring Cerveza'...though he knows what to do when I hook the belt to the door now. lol

DO you think it would have worked better to teach him to fetch the beer for you, THEN teach him to open the fridge? (Start with door open)

The way I see it, teaching him to open the door is great, but he may think his task is done once he's got the door open and gets a treat. The other way, he knows he's supposed to fetch the beer, but the door is in the way. Once he figures out that he can open the door, he will instinctively do that in order to complete the fetch command.

Just a thought. I am only thinking that now you got him opening the door, he will be less likely to move to the second command of fetching because he thinks his task is done and he gets a treat.

DO you think it would have worked better to teach him to fetch the beer for you, THEN teach him to open the fridge? (Start with door open)

This is a really good point. I actually hadn't thought about this. I will try this in our next training session as well.

Beleive it or not, the hardest part is getting him to fetch INDOORS. Outdoors he's automatic, you throw--he retrieves. INDOORS, he grabs the toy and plays with it. So I've been doing what trainers call 'capture' where you catch the dog doing what you want, and reinforce it with the proper command and treats.

Then we go downstairs top the fridge and play fetch in the general direction of the fridge.

I am going to post some vids this weekend of our progress...stay tuned and THANKS for the feedback!

Would it be cheating if you covered the bottles to mimic the toy/ guard against their teeth?

Guys, I am very sorry this took me so long.
During the summer, I was enjoying the sun and sand.
During the fall, I was sitting on the couch watching the NY Giants.
Now that the winter's here, all I want to do is go snowboarding.

The NY Giants suck, so maybe I can dedicate myself to the development of this trick.

Ikey is such a good boy, all he does is look at the fridge when he walks past as if to say 'When?'

I am really bad at taking videos of the action leading up but here is where we're at now.

He's using an empty bottle, I tape a beer cozie to it so he has a place to grip. I am using one of my belts as a door handle so he can open the fridge. I also used the rubber mat so he has some traction, he slipped once already during training. He's now linked the 'cerveza' command to opening the door AND fetching a bottle shaped object!!

I have 31 days until the Stoopid Bowl...now I need to:

-Get him to fetch a full bottle (going to fill it with water in case he drops it)
-One that sits vertically in the fridge (cozie is OK per our bet)
-He has to bring it to me on the couch
-I have to re-level the fridge legs so the door swings closed (part of the bet was I had to agree that the trick is useless if the dog leave the door open)

Overall, I am pretty happy that he fetches something closely resembling a beer, from a fridge, on command.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, I am very sorry this took me so long.
During the summer, I was enjoying the sun and sand.
During the fall, I was sitting on the couch watching the NY Giants.
Now that the winter's here, all I want to do is go snowboarding.

The NY Giants suck, so maybe I can dedicate myself to the development of this trick.

Ikey is such a good boy, all he does is look at the fridge when he walks past as if to say 'When?'

I am really bad at taking videos of the action leading up but here is where we're at now.

He's using an empty bottle, I tape a beer cozie to it so he has a place to grip. I am using one of my belts as a door handle so he can open the fridge. I also used the rubber mat so he has some traction, he slipped once already during training. He's now linked the 'cerveza' command to opening the door AND fetching a bottle shaped object!!

I have 31 days until the Stoopid Bowl...now I need to:

-Get him to fetch a full bottle (going to fill it with water in case he drops it)
-One that sits vertically in the fridge (cozie is OK per our bet)
-He has to bring it to me on the couch
-I have to re-level the fridge legs so the door swings closed (part of the bet was I had to agree that the trick is useless if the dog leave the door open)

Overall, I am pretty happy that he fetches something closely resembling a beer, from a fridge, on command.

What do you guys think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4Nl-wsW_SU

How do you reward him?

I'm sure someone's said it before, but aren't you worried about the dogs opening the fridge and consuming everything inside?

Other than that, I'd say you've done a fantastic job so far.

Whoop-dee-doo, my old lady can do that.:)

Now if she can sit and speak on command, you have yourself a keeper! :)

I'm sure someone's said it before, but aren't you worried about the dogs opening the fridge and consuming everything inside?

Nah, he's very well behaved. The fridge has recessed handles, I have to hang a leather belt over the door for him to be able to open it. When the belt is there, he knows its play time. No belt, no treats, no commands--he does nothing but sleep. Plus, I give him the command 'cerveza', he knows not to act until he's given a command. He's probably one of the smartest dogs I've ever worked with, I am very fortunate to have rescued a dog this intelligent...he's one in a million.

How do you reward him?

We recycle as much of our grain as possible. My girl loves making grain cookies:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/spent-grain-make-your-best-friend-cookies-87097/

I skimmed through the this thread and the videos wont load here on my work computer, so ignore this if someone has already suggeted it, but what about closing the door? I know this is just a super bowl bet, but if this becomes something that will actually save you from getting up, it might be worth some sort of spring loaded hinge to close the door when he's done.

Since the video wouldn't work for me, can you just explain: Did he do it?

He was going to level the feet to close the door itself. The dog basically did it, although I'm sure I'd be opening the beer any time soon or doing it with a bottle conditioned homebrew.

The spring is a VERY good idea, really hadn't thought about WHAT I would use for that but I am open to suggestions (thinking old screen door hinge, pneumatics=pita) The door has to close slow and gentle.

Right now, the belt interferes with the door closing. We did jack the front legs so it closes gently, but i am also going to rig up a better pull strap with some hollow wall anchors and a rubber handle-we need the door close fully.

We'd also like to bring it with much less shaking. Me and the wife agreed that the bet is useless unless he does it for us on Sundays so we are going to keep improving until it's perfect.

IrregularPulse said:
He was going to level the feet to close the door itself. The dog basically did it, although I'm sure I'd be opening the beer any time soon or doing it with a bottle conditioned homebrew.

Haha you caught that.. Yes the beer was bit shaken. my buddy and I agreed to a 75/25 split on the bet due to it being less than perfect, overall he was very impressed though.

Our demo beer is a SA noble pils so no yeast but my idea is to bottle from the kegs ahead of time and just line the beer up in cozies.

We had thought of using cans but even with an ever increasing variety of cans, bottles would be more useful for a homebrewer. Now if I can get them to tap me a beer....

Latest posts

Back