Dog ate my Homebrew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, not the whole thing, but after several days of my Belgian Wit not making any action in the blow-off, I decided to bring it out of the bathroom, and into the dining room to see if it would wake up. I placed it on a folded towel, in case the spigot dripped.

Next morning my wife asked what was going on with my beer? The towel was soaked. I saw chew marks on the spigot! Buddy had apparently liked the taste of the beer residue and decided to see if he could get some more.

Well, it had stopped leaking, and possibly only leaked when he was actually gnawing on it, so a little later, after doing dishes and getting my pea soup and homemade bread made, I transfered to a secondary glass carboy with airlock.

I took the lid off and stuck my face in there to see what it smelled like, and it literally burned my nose! Does CO2 do this? After that initial waft, it smelled fine. I forgot to taste the beer when I transfered, but the trub didn't taste too unusual (bit bitter and yeasty), so I'm assuming that it's going ok.

Now I need to replace that spigot, and figure out how to keep the dog from chewing on it again.

My dog's got a thing for paper. He ate our marriage certificate this weekend when we accidently left the bedroom door open. But never any brew supplies. He'd have to get through two doors for that.

My 14 month old son is always trying to get his hands into my mug of homebrew. I'd bet he'd knock over my primary and play in the wet mess if I left him alone with it. OK...maybe he wouldn't be strong enough to knock it over. But he'd try, I'm sure of it.

My kids pulled off an air lock and fed it to the dog.

I saw the dog walking by with an air lock and sure enough. Found my boys in the brew closet looking guilty.

CO2 + H2O -> H2CO3. an acid!!!

The water in you nose and lungs is sufficient.

AT least it wasn't bubbling out his hind end!!:eek:
at this point, I think the dog deserves it. :D

kidding for the peta folks. She is a great dog, just likes to chew on everything and the damn dog feels compelled to touch me every breathing second of her life. I cannot walk around the house barefoot because the dog wants to lick my feet.

Back