Does your wort look like this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottlebomber

Reaction score
Out of my cooler mash tun, I'm only pulling wort like this halfway through my sparge. Are some of you getting this from your first runnings? Im lautering about a quart for my first and second runnings, but it really only clears off the chunks.

ForumRunner_20111230_151503.jpg

Sounds like you need to keep at it until it flows clearly. I must admit, I don't worry about the wort being a little cloudy, although boiling husks can impact the flavor.

What do you have for lautering? Braid, false bottom, manifold? I pull clear wort after 1 quart.

That seems extremely light in color for first runnings. What is the style/OG?

Also how are you pouring your vourlaf back? I pour mine onto a piece of tin foil so it doesn't disturb the grain bed.

Gasp, don't you see all the areation of the wort before it's boiled by letting the wort cascade into the kettle ? The dreaded HSA. lol

I generally run a quart or two before it clears enough for me to drain into the kettle. That wort looks fine in that picture.

dale1038 said:
What do you have for lautering? Braid, false bottom, manifold? I pull clear wort after 1 quart.
Im using a braid.
BigUgly said:
That seems extremely light in color for first runnings. What is the style/OG?
It is the second runnings of straight pilsner for a czech pils. It is really light though. This is running about 1.035 right here.

dale1038 said:
Also how are you pouring your vourlaf back? I pour mine onto a piece of tin foil so it doesn't disturb the grain bed.
That's a good idea. I'm just gently pouring it straight back in.
boo boo said:
Gasp, don't you see all the areation of the wort before it's boiled by letting the wort cascade into the kettle ? The dreaded HSA. lol

I'm still unclear what HSA is allegedly supposed to do to your beer...

Yeah, if you're just pouring it straight back in, that could be your problem. I was pouring mine slowly down the side and had some channeling issues. I always have clear wort though. The only time I got cloudy was when my braid got beat up and old. Try the tinfoil and then maybe a new braid.

Holes in the tinfoil may help but are not necessary
I didnt see if anyone else mentioned that using tinfoil helps keep the hotter liquid on top and flow more evenly without any agitation
What i would recommend is slow down your flow rate a bit too
Once you get the flow rate set and master using tinfoil it makes fly sparging really easy and clean with no chance of getting chunks

I have not heard of using the tinfoil before. Should I poke small holes in the foil to help redistribute the Vourlaf or just let it go whereever it wants to go?

I saw the "holes in tin foil" idea on youtube.. I think I'm going to give it a try when I set up my cooler-mash tun.

Latest posts

Back