Does your spouse/significant other support your brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisgoestoeleven

Reaction score
My girlfriend was the one who got me my kit for our anniversary. She's as into beer as I am, and she likes photoshop. My brewing gives her free beer and something to design logos and labels for. Apparently my tiny kitchen in my tiny apartment is the home of the "Metawee Valley Brewing Company" lol:ban::ban:

Yes she does. And I don't have to brew any for her either!

yes and no. She hates beer! says it is all nasty. Ok I lie... I find some she tries (she has to sip everyone I drink) and she gives a nod here and there but will never have more than that. Lastnight I was rather intoxicated while brewing and made a rather mess. I cleaned it up to what I thought was better than before. Lets just say she proceeded to show me every bit of wort I missed. I dodged a bullet cause I almost got banned all together.

I don't know how or why she tolerates it. I force her to sip everything I brew, and she'll give tasting notes, but hates beer. All beer. I've tried everything...seriously she despises the foul substance.

I spend way too much money on it, and she never bitches about it at all. I don't know what her motives are. I'm getting suspicious just thinking about it! Crap!

(Although she did use my initial keg-setup purchase as an excuse to purchase a chihuahua...I hate that dog. He hates me.)

Mine loves it. Doesn't drink much, but that's more for calorie concerns than anything else. All she asks is that I brew and bottle a black IPA for her every once in awhile.

mine also loves it. Not only does she support my hobby, but I have converted her into a full on craft beer nerd. She drinks my beers all the time at home. Her favorite commercial beer is now Oaked Arrogant Bastard and when she has to drink Bud Light because it's all the bar has, or it's a pitcher that was ordered for the table she always talks $hit about it!!!

My girl is definitely not a beer enthusiast, as a matter of fact she pretty much hates beer (except for maybe labatt's blue and landshark.) She will sip every beer that i make, but all in all she's only liked maybe 1-2 of them (i say liked, but she certainly never asks for a full bottle of her own)... I guess she just likes that i am passionate about something, and that is enough for her to tolerate the "awful smells" that come with brewing it....Btw those "awful smells" that are associated with brewing beer are my absolute favorite smells in the world!

Yes, so much so that after I purchased a used fridge for my ferm chamber and didn't refill it promptly she took it over as 'her' fridge. And then she reorganized everything out to the shed. Wait a minute...

My wife supports my hobby and even learns about it so when I use "brewing speak" she can carry on a conversation. Sometimes I can tell she gets annoyed but for the most part I am very fortunate. We support each others hobbies so it works out well. I just wish she would drink beer!

Yes, so much so that after I purchased a used fridge for my ferm chamber and didn't refill it promptly she took it over as 'her' fridge. And then she reorganized everything out to the shed. Wait a minute...

I came home from work to find my beer fridge full of groceries:mug::D

I'm in the doghouse if I ever try to brew without her...

she went from Michelob Light to Pliny fan, so yeah, I guess she supports it.

My wife fully supports it and loves beer. Like a lot of the others here she has really developed her beer palate. At first she hated IPAs and now she is learning to love them :)

My SWMBO definitely supports my brewing habit. She is not a huge beer fan, but has her likes... pale ale, wheats, etc. She can't stand the smell of the mash & wort, but since I brew outside, she tolerates it pretty well. She almost never gives me the business about buying equipment as long as I keep it somewhat neat out in the garage and out of the way. I am currently fermenting in the pantry and she will complain mildly about the odor from the cider but loves the end product so it is mostly to tease me.

The key I guess is that she is as into scrapbooking as I am into brewing and I fully support (financially and otherwise) her hobby as well. I even go with her on occasion to the craft and scrapbook store (LSBS) which scores big points for sure. The other ladies in the store always comment that they wish they could get their man to go with them ~ usually as I am handing over the plastic...

Supports it? Hell, I think it's why he married me!

Seriously, he doesn't mind helping at all and lifts all the heavy stuff, then helps clean up. He's a great Brewing Assistant. He's an engineer, though, so he's always trying to make things more efficient or more productive. Love him!

Bob definitely loves me better since I've been brewing.

Yesterday he went into his bathroom with the Northern Brewer catalogue (great catalogue, if you don't get it) and came out with thoughts to share with me.

He said he wants a Scottish 70 +/- next, and then the Waldo Lake Amber, all from the NB catalogue, but could I please change the Scottish to have NO roast? And make sure the citrusy hops are forefront in that amber?

He doesn't know what each ingredient does, but he gives great tasting notes and encourages my passion. I love that man!!!!! :rockin:

my better half complains about the brewing clutter that's taken over the bar and garage, but she drinks all the beer i make, so i guess that's a thumbs up.

My wife loves my beer - she drinks as much as I do. She never complains about the smell or the mess or the time it takes. I am blessed

While my SWMBO doesn't drink a lot of my beer, she does support my addiction and appreciates what I do when I brew. Last night, our dinner was spice-rubbed grilled stuffed pork chops, herb and butter mashed potatoes and applesauce. With that meal, she actually ASKED for one of my beers that she likes...and got a "Speckled Heifer" from Northern Brewer...it's a "Spotted Cow" clone, and quite good.

glenn514:mug:

She does emphatically! The only time I catch any flak is when I decide to make a new equipment purchase. But once I explain to her "how much better the beer is going to be" she usually acquiesces and I get what I want.

Mine supports the hobby and thinks it's cool. Even brags about it to her friends. She hates beer but asks for a taste of everyone that I have. Bought me a Monstermill for Christmas.

My wife bought me my first kit. She's happy to let me do the brewing by myself as long as I clean up the mess, but she's one of my biggest fans. She especially goes for my IPA and the oatmeal stout.

My wife is a great supporter of my brewing, she supplies about half of the empty bottles for me to fill. Seriously, we both support each others hobbies, she raises and shows dogs and I am an avid do-it-yourself fan and brew gadget freak.

My wife bought me my first kit a couple years ago. She thought I'd make one or two batches and get bored with it (I collect hobbies like old women collect commemorative plates). Two years and 150 gallons later she's starting to see the error of her ways. :)

Terje

My wife is supportive. She helps me when bottling wine, and I'm sure she'll help once my first beer kits start finishing up, too.

The better thing is that she only occasionally sips either substance - so most of the finished product is mine, all mine!

My girlfriend absolutely hates beer, but she fully supports my brewing. I started brewing years before I met her, so its something she knew about before getting involved. :D

My wife is totally cool with me taking over the kitchen for a day whilst I brew. She's not quite at my level of beer admiration, but she's getting there.

My wife basicly supports it, she likes beer but doesn't drink too much. She has rolled her eyes at me a few times when I talk of getting more equipment or brewing another batch, but she has never tried to stop me so I guess that is support right??

She was pretty skeptical at first then realised that even my oops's were better than her bud light now she keeps asking what/when the next one is gonna be, and has given me free range on a small brewhouse after we're married

Other than taking a few sips of my homebrew and giving a "eh" response, SWMBO doesn't drink. I wouldn't say she supports my brewing, like cheering me on or whatever, but she definitely knows her place when it comes to me and my brewing. She doesn't complain at all about my time or money spent in my "hobby" (addiction), she suggests different ingredients/recipes/equipment when we go shopping, she will help out with my brewing, and she even goes to my drunken events with we and my friends just to sit there to wait to drive me home!

So I have designated a tap for whatever soda she wants.

Back