Does your SO support your brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife supports my obsession. She isn't a beer drinker herself but she is a pretty great wife to have and loves the fact that I get so much enjoyment out of it. I think she would like it a little more if the hobby wasn't overtaking our house as much as it has, but as long as I stay on top of keeping everything clean and put away its all good.

My girlfriend loves to see me get so much enjoyment out of it and she's genuinely interested when I talk about it. Three years ago for my birthday she bought me a high quality kegerator that cost her a pretty penny. This year for Xmas she bought me custom tap handles for 2 beers that I make often.

She would, however, prefer that I don't brew on the kitchen stove and that my equipment not be visible in the house when not in use.

My wife was pretty into it at first, but now she's "tolerant". She doesn't like how much space my kegerator, grain bucket, kettle, mt etc takes up or how much time I spend reading books/fourms. But when I get into something, I don't half ass it.

When she drinks the beer she tends to open up to new gear/brew ideas though!

That said, she does her best to hekp out when she can (bottling, picking up supplies etc).

my wife is very supportive of my hobby. she's gotten me books, sits patiently while I take too long in the home brew shops, and will suggest "today looks like a good brewing day". she really doesn't like much beer, but she's always willing to try what I have in a glass.

SWMBO has always supported my hobbies. She does not drink beer but tries them anyway. She also helps on brew day even if nothing more than hangin out with me.

I brew indoors, in my basement. I built my brewery, then started the yearlong remodel then moved in to our house. My s.o. has been very patient with my brewing shenanigans. I have a hood over my stove that helps. She knows that i absolutely will not stop brewing, a lot.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Home Brew mobile app

She's marginally tolerant of my brewing. When I started, we agreed that I would brew only once a month, but even at that, she always objects when I start planning a brew day. She hates that I sometimes need to expand from the garage/basement and use a little of 'her' kitchen on brew day. She's a vodka drinker and could care less about beer or me having hobbies or spending any time dedicated to anything other than her or family. I love to brew so I just absorb and carry on :tank:

She's marginally tolerant of my brewing. When I started, we agreed that I would brew only once a month, but even at that, she always objects when I start planning a brew day. She hates that I sometimes need to expand from the garage/basement and use a little of 'her' kitchen on brew day. She's a vodka drinker and could care less about beer or me having hobbies or spending any time dedicated to anything other than her or family. I love to brew so I just absorb and carry on :tank:

Go get her some Tito's vodka for brew day. It may help things be more chill. :fro:

My wife bought me a "beer kit" around 2-1/2 years ago, and seeing as how we both like Craft Beer, it works out pretty well. The beers I have made of late, have been quite nice, and to please her tastes as well. She really likes hoppy IPA's, and of course when I brew them for her, she seems to be a bit more tolerant of my brewing more regularly. I wouldn't trade my wife for anybody else, she is just too precious to me.

I'm in a similar situation. But a dude's got to have his hobbies...

And she bought me the original brewing kit. :cross:

If I tell her a week+ in advance that I will be brewing and I do it at 5am im in the clear haha otherwise she doesn't like the fact that im home but not hanging out with her for long periods of time. However she bought me the starter kit and has let me build my single tier HERMS system with minimal complaints so thats about as much support I can ask for since she does not like beer at all.
back when we had our appartment and I went all grain she was not a fan at all since there was like no space to store the stuff but now that we have a house and a garage where i can have a dedicated brewing spot it makes life much better for everyone.

My lady is totally cool about my brewing. She actually brewed before I did, and I borrowed her starter kit and did my first batch with her when we started dating. I quickly got caught up in it and while she doesn't really brew anymore, but she knows beer and likes beer. She doesn't drink much these days, but she always tries whatever I make. Here's the best part - I almost always brew early in the morning on Sundays and she'll often cook up a big breakfast and bring it out to the Brewshed after she gets up. It's pretty awesome and so is she.

Cheers.

My lady is totally cool about my brewing. She actually brewed before I did, and I borrowed her starter kit and did my first batch with her when we started dating. I quickly got caught up in it and while she doesn't really brew anymore, but she knows beer and likes beer. She doesn't drink much these days, but she always tries whatever I make. Here's the best part - I almost always brew early in the morning on Sundays and she'll often cook up a big breakfast and bring it out to the Brewshed after she gets up. It's pretty awesome and so is she.

Cheers.

You have an awesome lady, Dude. Keep her close! :mug:

My wife and I spent our 14th wedding anniversary at the National Homebrew Conference this year and will be spending our 15th in San Diego.

I win.

My GF was the one who got me into brewing in the first place. She surprised me with a mr beer kit, now I'm on my 4th batch total.? One Mr beer one true brew extract kit and two all grain and she has helped me brew and bottle each batch. She takes care of filling while I cap. What makes it even greater is that she really enjoys a good beer and is not afraid of hop bombs. So yeah you could say she's a bit supportive of my brewing :D

I always keep the first tap in the keezer for cider for her and my daughters. She will occasionally drink the other beers and understands the need to brew often enough to keep the pipeline well stocked. I couldn't ask for more!

Cheers! :mug:

Back